Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Photosmart C7280.  I received a "Pump Motor Stalled Press OK" Message on my display.  When I press "OK" the printer goes through a series of clicks and what sounds like the head slidding back and forth.  Then I get an "Ink System Failure" message.  (Error Code 0xc05d0082).  The message tells me to turn the printer off then on again.   After doing this, using the power button, I received the following:  "Improper shut down"  You did not properly shut down the computer...  Then the printer automatically cycles back to the "Pump Motor Stalled" message. 

I am not real literate with these things so I am posting hoping a guru out there can help me.  My husband who is, refuses to "waste his time" and wants to just throw it away and buy a new one.  This printer is not quite 2 years old.  I can't believe this is the end of its life.  He did get the messages to clear one time but within the day, the cycle had come back. 

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Have a C7280. Powered it on and "Pump Motor Stalled" message came up. Removed all the ink cartridges, closed the printer and clicked ok. The printer ran until the cartridge error came up. Put the cartridges back in, closed the printer and clicked ok. It is working again.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

85 REPLIES 85
HP Recommended

I had the same problem and can't get it to come back. This is really quite sad that you have to go buy a new printer when this one has barely been used. I've tried every trick I can think of. Guess it's time to go buy a Cannon printer!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, with the HP Photosmart C7280. I disconnected the power and took the paper feeder out, put it back, and the printer is back on after clicking and churning. The problem is back every few days.

I called HP and they are offering me 30% off a "refurbished selected" HP printer, with an option to extend the warranty to 3 year for $20. I'm not sure yet what my next move is going to be.

HP Recommended

I got this message about 3 times in succession shortly after a hard reset (# and 6 when powering on).

The noises coming from the machine made me feel badly for it, lol.  After asking me to load paper and clear a couple of nonexistent jams, it started working fine.

I only did the hard reset once, and that was because the machine kept giving me the ink subsystem failed message.  I don't think these printers like refurbished ink cartridges.  I started having trouble shortly after I began using them.

Printer is working ok for now.  Just wanted to pass along the info that the Pump Motor Stalled message isn't necessarily the end of the machine's life (at least not in my case).  If anything changes, I'll post again.

HP Recommended
Same problem. Tried powering off/on.... Same results. I was getting the improper power off error before the the pump motor error, too, when powered off properly, too. I'm with EWeight - next one will be a canon.
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem. Do I really have to buy a new printer? I hate Cannons too!

HP Recommended

I appear to have the same problem many other with HP7280 users have experienced.  "Pump Motor Stalled".  No amount of switching off, restores Print funtionality.  I need some suggestions. ???

HP Recommended

- Have a C7280. Only use original HP ink cartriges.

The printer had been on for quite some time (a day or two). First error to appear was Ink System Failure. Error 0xc19a0035.

Turned printer off then back on. When turning printer on, I had a pump motor stalled error. Pressed Ok to continue...Printer started intializing. Then a whole bunch of creeking, belt movement and what sounded like gear hopping !

Then a new error appeared: Ink system has failed. Unable to copy, receive faxes or print. Error 0xc05d0082.

Followed HP procedure stated in this forum post: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-printing-questions/ink-system-failure-Oxc19a0035/td-p/340422. I tried it about 10 times to try to resolve the issue, but to no avail every time... No amount of key sequencing, code clearing, resetting, unplugging, waiting and replugging did any good.

- All levels showed correctly in HP Solution Center. Yellow ink level was showing low.

--> Solution found: Replaced yellow cartridge but also, ENERGETICALLY removed and reinserted each and every of the 6 cartridges several times. ENERGETICALLY as in I've got nothing left to lose at the epitome of frustration kinda jerking to and fro movement under the lid. Picture it...

After closing the lid, the printer did it's "initialization" sequence once more (message on screen: printer preparation occuring - do not interrupt) and it didn't sound any better than before: the now all too familiar grinding sound like "I didn't press the clutch enough and shoved the stick into gear anyway" started it off, followed by the pulley humping roller belt tug of war... Usually THE CODE would appear not long after. BUT WAIT ! What's this ?! A new warning appeared: CLEAR PAPER JAM. There was none... Pressed Ok. And waited some more. The sequence seemed endless. But finally, it rolled to a stop. No more crash code.

Not satisfied with this, I had the printer perform a head alignment. Went fine. Then I had it clean the print head. Went well. Did the intermediate clean too. Went well also. I then printed a test page, a diagnostic page and a sample page. Everything works fine now.

I know it sounds too damned simple but, it worked for me: ENERGETIC CARTRIDGE REPLACEMENT. Who would of thought...

My cheeriest hi-five to each of you for whom my solution would work. My most heartfelt sympathies to you who tried yet another solution - mine - only to have it also utterly fail...

HP Recommended

Have a C7280. Powered it on and "Pump Motor Stalled" message came up. Removed all the ink cartridges, closed the printer and clicked ok. The printer ran until the cartridge error came up. Put the cartridges back in, closed the printer and clicked ok. It is working again.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

I had exactly the same issues with Pump Motor Stalled and Improper Shutdown. This was the perfect solution! I removed all the cartridges, clicked okay. Then I waited for it ask for the cartridges, replaced them, and viola! Thanks for the resolution!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.