Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laser Jet P2015
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP Laser Jet P2015 here at work, however, with this firm, paper is a must and I am trying to minimize the output I use everyday. 

I am trying to figure out how to get my printer to let me know it is "out" of legal paper when the document I am printing needs to be on legal paper. 

Right now, if there is no legal paper in the printer, it will automatically print on a letter size paper which means I waste tons of paper because I forgot to add legal size paper to the tray. 

Is there anyway around this issue? I would assume its a printer setting but I have tried a lot of combinations and I just cant get it to work properly and I have just gone through 20 pages of paper which with coming from a paperless company to a paper company is quite annoying!!! 

Thank you in advance for any advice. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

I usually check the settings of the printer, and the driver, it has to be set up with legal paper.

You can check the configuration by going to Control Panel, under Devices and Printer, right click and select printer Properties, under there, Select Device Settings, and check how you have the trays set up, and make sure the one you want is set for legal paper.

I'm an HP employee.
I am speaking for myself and not for HP.Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution .
HP Recommended

Hello Chris

You can configure the driver to have it print from the specific tray you want.

1. Please go under Devices and printers, do a right click under the printer and select properties:

Untitled.png

2. Select the option for preferences under the General Tab:

Untitled2.png

3. There you can select how do you want to Set the driver to print.

Hope this works for you.

Though I work for HP, My posts express My opinion, and not those of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.