Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP960c
Microsoft Windows XP

I tried to print out a document and it had white horizonatl streaks throughout the document and parts were completely missing.

I had been getting a low toner warning for some time so I put in a new cartridge

The test page seemed ok

I then tried to reprint my document and it did not have the tiny white horizontal streaks BUT parts were totally missing.

I then recalibrated and cleaned the cartridge.  Blank page.

I disconnected and re-connected the printer.  Blank page.

Now all I get are blank pages.

I put the old cartridge back in and got a very faint test.

Since I got a test page with the new cartridge and now nothing at all, I am wondering what is going on

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@CarolW

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP 960 Black ink cartridge. I understand that you are getting print quality issues and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. I am happy to help you with this issue!

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• Provide me the printer model number.
  • Which operating system is installed on the computer?

Meanwhile:

• Clean the cartridge.

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy - as it says in my subject line, I have a 960c deskjet and I also have Windows XP.

I already cleaned the cartridge, both physically, and also by using the HP Toolbox.

I just ran another test page, and this time it is much weaker than the last one.  There are horizontal streaks through out the test page and I STILL get a blank page when I try to print my document!!

HP Recommended

@CarolW

Thanks for the reply and understand the situation well

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

Align the cartridges.

To align the cartridges from the Printer Assistant, follow the steps below:

• Launch the Printer Assistant by clicking the Printer Assistant icon located on the desktop
  • Select Tools and Updates.
  • Go to Printer Maintenance.
  • Select Calibrate Printer.
  • Click Calibrate and follow the onscreen instructions.

Click here to refer the document and perform troubleshooting steps to fix this issue.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Sandy,

Well, things went from bad to worse, I am afraid.

I figured it must be a cartridge problem because a test page came out, but after that blank ones.  So I used the HP system to clean the cartridge many times, and at last, I was able to print.

BUT WAIT - there's more

So I went to print his morning and NOTHING.  The printer does not seem to be getting info from computer.

I did what I usually do - reboot - no

Remove plug from power. No

Remove cable from printer. No

Remove cable from computer. No.

Internet suggested I check my printer ports.

What?? the port was set to USB and it had always been LPT1 before. So I changed it back.  No dice.

It was suggested I remove the port and have Windows re-install it on reboot.  Scared to try that.

So I did what I usually do when nothing works - I re-install the software.

It took 6 minutes for the files to upload and almost and hour to upload the installation files (VERY, VERY SLOW) and did not finish because nspr4.dll was not available.

Looked online

Suggested I update printer driver - scared to do that.

Tried sfc/ scannow command- nothing

Cannot use system restore as it stopped working years ago.

Ran Malwarebytes, Glary Utilities and AVG - all found problems, all problems fixed.  Still nothing.

Should I uninstall from HP Wizard and then try to reinstall?  I am at a total loss.

HP Recommended

@CarolW

Thanks for the super quick reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

It seems to be a hardware issue with the printer.

I request you to contact HP phone support for assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy - it seems I gave a small amt of mis-information.

When I purchased my computer, I could not use the original printer cable and had to get one with a USB connection.

So, USB was the correct setting.

I appreciate your suggestion, but this printer is almost 16 years old and the last time I called they said I had to pay them to help me fix it.

So, thakns, but no thanks, for that suggestion.

I will soldier on alone until I get this thing mastered.

Thanks for your input

CarolW

HP Recommended

@CarolW

“I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.”

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.