Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M806 and 9050

Hello,

How do I disable the ability to print to tray one.  I have users have documents that are not standard letter size and we use only letter papers in all the trays.  When they submit a non letter job, it will require them to maual feed.  How do I disable this feature?  

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

On the HP 9050 you can allow for A4 jobs to be printed on letter paper without any action at the printer except to make sure the setting of the configure device menu and then under the printing submenu you have selected override A4/letter and changed the default to Yes. The newer printer may also have the option but you will have to search or run a menu map to see if it is there.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I do not think this is possible. The driver controls the print job and send the stream to the printer to include the size and type paper of the job. If the printer does not have that size paper and/or type paper in the tray then it will ask to have it loaded in tray 1. Now you can fool the printer on the type side by choosing "any" for the type if available and it will print even if the type is not loaded in the tray, but there is no way with the size of the media as it has to match or the printer will revert to tray 1. Now you may be able to have your driver set to give the document the letter size and not allow the user to change the size of the document using server properties and locking out changes by the user where the size can not be changed but if the document is like in an email and already has the size embedded in the document then it can not be done.

HP Recommended

davidzuts,

Thank you for your reply.  We typically have foreign  students go to their email and pull down A4 paper.  I already tried locking  all trays to "Letter" size for both print server/driver side as well as through physical printer tray.  If I were to choose "Any" for all trays in both print server and printer, will the A4 print out on the letter?  The problem I am having is that since we only use letter everytime someone prints an A4, we have to cleared the maunal feed notice.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

On the HP 9050 you can allow for A4 jobs to be printed on letter paper without any action at the printer except to make sure the setting of the configure device menu and then under the printing submenu you have selected override A4/letter and changed the default to Yes. The newer printer may also have the option but you will have to search or run a menu map to see if it is there.

HP Recommended

davidzuts,

Thanks for this tip.  I got it to work with both 9050 and M806.

Another related question.  What are my option regarding legal size paper?  That will still prompt for manual feed.

Thanks,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.