Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just purchased the HP Photosmart 6515 and have not been able to move past the initial set-up. I repeatedly receive the message Printhead Missing - Lift the latch, re-seat the Printhead and then lower the latch. First of all, and forgive my ignorance, I do not know what the Printhead is so I am not sure how to re-seat it. 

Help please.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello jdluv

While the following article is meant for the Photosmart 7510 they are very similar. The print head is part of the carriage that you insert the cartridges into. The article should show you how to remove the printhead and to properly clean it if it is having difficulties.

Missing or Failed Printhead

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Anyone able to resolve this issue?  I just purchased the 7510 and have the same issue.  I have reseated the print head 3 times.  The only "progress" I have made in the last 3 hours is that one time it said that the printhead was incompatible or damaged, rather than the original error message.  This is frustrating.  I am an IT Professional working with computer equipment daily and have NEVER had this issue before.  If this is not resolved, this printer goes back to Best Buy tomorrow.

Glenn

HP Recommended

Hello hurricanegms

If the article above did not help it sounds like you may have a bad printhead. Since you just purchased the printer you may want to take it back to the point of purchase and exchange it for another Photosmart 7510.

Before that, however, I suggest also following this article: 'Ink Cartridge Problem,' 'Incompatible Ink Cartridge,' or 'Ink Cartridge Failure' Message Displays o.... While some of the steps may be similar to the previous article it is designed to troubleshoot the print cartridge problem. Let me know if the problem persists or if anything changes.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

HP Recommended

I have tried everything in that article, and everything in dozens of other articles on HP and other forums with the same results.  Only thing that manages to change is the error message.  I can take it back to Best Buy, but my concern is that I will have the same issue and have to repeat the return process with them.  I want to be absolutely sure the product is defective before returning/exchanging for the same model. 

Is it possible there is any packing tape (blue/clear) that is used on any connector that could be easily missed when unpacking?  There were about 20+ of these pieces of tape, so maybe one is obscure and covering something important? 

I am not at home with the printer so can't look/try anything again until tonight, and at that point I would pack it up and try to exchange it before Best Buy closes.  Let me know, thank you.

Glenn

HP Recommended

Hello hurricanegms

When you get home try the follow:

1. Remove all the cartridges.
  2. Power down the printer. Wait about 1 to 2 minutes and turn it back on.
  3. Once the printer asks for the cartridges re-install them.

Let me know what happens.

HP Recommended

I have tryed jiggling the printhead, cleaning the printhead, full reset the printer, oob ( out of box) reset the printer. Still saying no Printhead missing.  My printer is not under warranty anymore, however spent a good bit on it and haven't made it through my second set of ink cartridges yet.  I Had just finished printing ( successfully ), and I got an error code: oxc19a0003.  I cleaned printhead and reset printer and it changed to printhead missing and thats all i can get out of it now. I don't want to purchase a hundred dollar printhead just to find out that isn't my problem. Any insight?

HP Recommended
Hello mosizemore

If you have followed the "Missing or Failed Printhead" article and my other suggests in this thread, the printer may need to be serviced or the printhead may need to be replaced.

However, before going either of those routes check out the following article. It covers alphanumeric codes such as the one you described "oxc19a0003". The printer may be having another problem, but is not returning just a problem with a missing printhead.
An Alphanumeric Code (Example: '0x...' or 'C2...') or 'Ink System Failure' Error Message Displays on...

If that article does not help look at the "MIssing or Failed Printhead" step 5. It explains about purchasing a replacement printhead.

HP Recommended

My printer keeps saying print head problem and I've done the trouble shooting and it still doesn't work. This is a newer printer and I called HP support on the phone and they said I bought it in 2005, when they didn't even have that model. I was on hold for 2 hr and they just hung up on me. Can anyone help if not I am never buying an HP ever again and telling everyone and every student I know not to even bother with HP. Also this is the second printer I have gotten from them and think its my last I just don't wanna waist my money 

HP Recommended
Gud day,I'm from Philippines I have here hp c309a...the problem of my printed is that,printhead missing....I have already done full reset and trouble shooting at the same tym....but still it results the same....anyone knows wat to do?help pls......tanx
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.