Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet 4250dn
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I Need to Change the "HOST NAME" of several laser printers.  In the past I always used a print server or on a peer-to-peer network I've used Ip addressing.  This year, for this client I'm having to use the Printer HOST NAMEI, because they no longer support static Ip addresses, which isn't a problem, except it's been so long since I've changed host names on some of the models.  

anyway,  on a HPLaserjet 4250dn, I've Found out where in the printer control panel to change the "Host Name" and I've Figured out how to change the characters; but, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to end the new name or how to get the printer to save the new name.  Did that last statement make any sence?  Example:  say I wanted change the name from "NPI895IE"  to "LOBBY" I can't figure out how to delete the letters that come after the number 9 and how to save save everything at that point.  I know that it is probably really easy and I'm just a bonehead, but can someone help me out?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Ken

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Ken, use the embedded Web server in the printer and it will be a piece of cake.

Put the IP address of the printer in the browser URL bar and after the embedded webserver open select the networking tab.

You may have to click around a bit to find the hostname just remember after you change it you have to find the Apply button down at the bottom and give that a click.

While you're in there disable protocols you don't use and put a password on the embedded web server

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended
Ken, use the embedded Web server in the printer and it will be a piece of cake.

Put the IP address of the printer in the browser URL bar and after the embedded webserver open select the networking tab.

You may have to click around a bit to find the hostname just remember after you change it you have to find the Apply button down at the bottom and give that a click.

While you're in there disable protocols you don't use and put a password on the embedded web server

HP Recommended

KUDOS! 

For the fix and the promptness, it was greatly appreciated!

Ken

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.