Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We had to change the encryption type on our WiFi router away from WPA2, (original LAN setup, on which we setup and successfully used our M252dw Printer), and use instead simple WPA, for solving some other connectivity issues.

NOW, the HP printer we have (M252dw) apparently does not reset the encryption type automatically.

It apparently has no way to automatically start 'from scratch' when connecting to the new Router setup.

Even with EVERYTHING else on the LAN working fine and talking fine, including WiFi laptops and smartphones, the HP Printer sees the new WiFi SSD name, will connect to the Router to attempt a connection, will accept the new WPA Password, but RETAINS THE WPA-PSK SETTING FROM PREVIOUS SETUP.

We know this, because after the printer FAILS to connect, printing out the Network Test Report SHOWS this known problem in the Troubleshooting paragraph, but the worthless advice says to "Run the wireless network setup to re-enter your wireless network WPA security passphrase. The WPA authentification method on your HP printer has been changed from the default setting. This may cause problems when connecting to your wireless network, if your wireless router is not using the same WPA authentification mehod.

Well, DUH.

Notice, there is NOTHING in the above message that says:
1) Go to "this" menu item.

2) Click on "this" option to change the encryption method.

3) Select the method (SSID, WEP, WPA, WPA2) which matches your router.

...because...there appears to be NO option ANYWHERE in ANY menu that offers this choice.

THERE IS NO BUTTON, OPTION, SELECTION, NOR ADVICE IN THE USER MANUAL TO RESET OR CHOOSE WPA!!!!!

There is a wonderfully useless checklist, repeated throughout your manuals and on the website, saying essentially

"Verify the printer encryption type (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.) matches the router".

Well...what do you DO when you KNOW that it DOES NOT?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for at least trying, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, it did not work;

but it did lead to finding the answer for future reference.

Summary -

After selecting <SETUP><NETWORK SETUP><Restore Defaults>
The printer did run through some processing and wiped the saved connection data, the IPv4 address, subnet mask, and default gateway (router IPv4 address), and turned IPv6 back ON again.

So...I did this:

1) Went back to <SETUP><NETWORK SETUP><Network Services> and turned IPv6 back OFF, leaving only IPv4 ON.

2) Went back to <SETUP><NETWORK SETUP><IPv4 Config Method><Manual> and re-entered the preferred settings yet again.
Address: 192.168.254.250

Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.254.254

3) Stepped through the "Wizard" where it immediately found the SSID from the wireless router.

4) Selected the WiFi router SSID name

5) When asked for the passphrase (which is actually just a pass'word' with WPA) I entered that.

6) Watched the Printer attempt to connect, and failed.

Same WPA-PSK listed, same note on the Network Test Report once again.

So - No luck after Restore Defaults.

It would have truly been nice if HP had made sure that this option actually did in fact Reset *ALL* settings to Defaults, including wiping WPA2 security type.

(Just for reference, the DCHP range is set for 192.168.254.15 - 192.168.254.47, so that assigned/fixed IP addresses, such as this Printer, can be assigned outside of the DCHP range to remain set to ensure no changes.

This printer is the FIRST device being assigned a fixed IP address, to ensure that nothing else can conflict with the IP address and eliminate that as a possible cause.)

OK - so after your suggestion, I was inspired to re-enter the menu and look again.

I had previously looked through everything I could and been unable to find the sub-menu that I thought should have been included by HP...

...where I would expect a user could manually choose the Security Encryption method/type (SSID/WEP/WPA/WPA2)

...or at least reset to 'DELETE/RESET/Nothing: please ask the next router you attempt to connect to what it is using'

One thing I found there is the option that sounded like what I was now looking for:

<SETUP><NETWORK SETUP><Security><Reset All Security>

That sounded like the next best thing after trying "Network Defaults" so I did that.

Then stepped back through all of the above steps 1-6...

*SUCCESS*

ALSO: The previously functioning Printer listing on each PC had to be "Removed" in Windows

- under <Start><Devices and Printers> Right-Click <Remove Device>

- Then a followup <Add a Printer><Add a Network, Wireless...>

- Waited for Printer to be found, Click on it, then Select <Use existing Driver>

Thanks HP - I just needed to find which Reset was the correct one.

Now - I humbly suggest stating that in the Manual.

Right under the line "Verify encryption type matches router", you could add something simple such as:

"IF it does NOT, then select <SETUP><NETWORK SETUP><Security><Reset All Security> and your printer will automatically query the next router you attempt to connect with and match that encryption type."

:OpenSmile:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended
Just reset the printer back to Network Defaults. That will reset everything.
HP Recommended

Thanks for at least trying, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, it did not work;

but it did lead to finding the answer for future reference.

Summary -

After selecting <SETUP><NETWORK SETUP><Restore Defaults>
The printer did run through some processing and wiped the saved connection data, the IPv4 address, subnet mask, and default gateway (router IPv4 address), and turned IPv6 back ON again.

So...I did this:

1) Went back to <SETUP><NETWORK SETUP><Network Services> and turned IPv6 back OFF, leaving only IPv4 ON.

2) Went back to <SETUP><NETWORK SETUP><IPv4 Config Method><Manual> and re-entered the preferred settings yet again.
Address: 192.168.254.250

Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.254.254

3) Stepped through the "Wizard" where it immediately found the SSID from the wireless router.

4) Selected the WiFi router SSID name

5) When asked for the passphrase (which is actually just a pass'word' with WPA) I entered that.

6) Watched the Printer attempt to connect, and failed.

Same WPA-PSK listed, same note on the Network Test Report once again.

So - No luck after Restore Defaults.

It would have truly been nice if HP had made sure that this option actually did in fact Reset *ALL* settings to Defaults, including wiping WPA2 security type.

(Just for reference, the DCHP range is set for 192.168.254.15 - 192.168.254.47, so that assigned/fixed IP addresses, such as this Printer, can be assigned outside of the DCHP range to remain set to ensure no changes.

This printer is the FIRST device being assigned a fixed IP address, to ensure that nothing else can conflict with the IP address and eliminate that as a possible cause.)

OK - so after your suggestion, I was inspired to re-enter the menu and look again.

I had previously looked through everything I could and been unable to find the sub-menu that I thought should have been included by HP...

...where I would expect a user could manually choose the Security Encryption method/type (SSID/WEP/WPA/WPA2)

...or at least reset to 'DELETE/RESET/Nothing: please ask the next router you attempt to connect to what it is using'

One thing I found there is the option that sounded like what I was now looking for:

<SETUP><NETWORK SETUP><Security><Reset All Security>

That sounded like the next best thing after trying "Network Defaults" so I did that.

Then stepped back through all of the above steps 1-6...

*SUCCESS*

ALSO: The previously functioning Printer listing on each PC had to be "Removed" in Windows

- under <Start><Devices and Printers> Right-Click <Remove Device>

- Then a followup <Add a Printer><Add a Network, Wireless...>

- Waited for Printer to be found, Click on it, then Select <Use existing Driver>

Thanks HP - I just needed to find which Reset was the correct one.

Now - I humbly suggest stating that in the Manual.

Right under the line "Verify encryption type matches router", you could add something simple such as:

"IF it does NOT, then select <SETUP><NETWORK SETUP><Security><Reset All Security> and your printer will automatically query the next router you attempt to connect with and match that encryption type."

:OpenSmile:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.