Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hi people....I'm trying to set up our old, trusty Laserjet 5P with our new G70 using a USB to parallel cable, but to no avail. Any ideas on how to configure this odd couple so that they can live and work in harmony? My wife would rather lose me than have to give up her printer. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Eureka! The TRENDnet TU-P1284 Converter is a plug and play solution to mating a legacy printer to new computer. To recap, I have an HP G70 Laptop running Vista Home Basic and an HP LaserJet 5P and when I cabled everything up, the computer recognized the printer, installed the correct driver, and I was off and running. The adaptor is under $20.00 through Amazon.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@awestcoastguy wrote:
Hi people....I'm trying to set up our old, trusty Laserjet 5P with our new G70 using a USB to parallel cable, but to no avail. Any ideas on how to configure this odd couple so that they can live and work in harmony? My wife would rather lose me than have to give up her printer. 

Hi,

What brand of USB to parallel cable do you have?

Did you download the drivers from the manufacturer's website?

regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

hi erico...thanks for the reply. The cable brand is "i.connect" from PPI International and described as "USB to Parallel IEEE 1284". Its a bi-directional cable with USB 1.0 and 1.1 compliance. My OS is Vista Home Basic (I should have mentioned that initially) and the 5P driver is listed as part of the Printer Setup and that's where I selected it from, and the 5P is currently shown as the default printer. When I try to print a test page, the computer happily sends it off to the ether while the printer stands idly by. Any thoughts? Anybody?

HP Recommended

In addition to the printer driver shich you have installed you may also need a driver for the USB to parallel converter.  The other thing I would check would be the port settings, the converter may provide an emulated LPT1: port, but it may be a different port.  Make sure you are using the correct port.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@awestcoastguy wrote:

hi erico...thanks for the reply. The cable brand is "i.connect" from PPI International and described as "USB to Parallel IEEE 1284". Its a bi-directional cable with USB 1.0 and 1.1 compliance. My OS is Vista Home Basic (I should have mentioned that initially) and the 5P driver is listed as part of the Printer Setup and that's where I selected it from, and the 5P is currently shown as the default printer. When I try to print a test page, the computer happily sends it off to the ether while the printer stands idly by. Any thoughts? Anybody?

Hi,
I can't find the manufacturer on the internet. I hope it was pretty cheap. Try to stay away from no name brands.  I would suggest using a PCI parallel port card instead. I have used them and had no problems with printer setup. Be sure and purchase one that support for Vista OS is stated in the features for the product. SIIG and Rosewill are good brands. Here is a link to a NewEgg web page with a selection of the cards. Another alternative for newer PCs is use of a one or two port parallel PCI- Express x1 card (much faster than the PCI bus! They are much more expensive than PCI cards). Read the customer reviews before making your purchase decision on the unknown branded cards. 
I do not know if you have a desktop PC or a laptop as you did not state it. 

regards,
erico 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Sorry, I guess I assumed that you would recognize an HP G70 as a laptop...my bad. So a card won't help me here.
HP Recommended

Hi again...I believe I have my solution. I found this converter on Amazon along with great reviews http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=160_TU-P1284&cat=32. Once I receive the little guy, I'll post my results. Thanks for all your guys' help and patience.

Andew

HP Recommended

@awestcoastguy wrote:
Sorry, I guess I assumed that you would recognize an HP G70 as a laptop...my bad. So a card won't help me here.

Hi,

Yep. I normally catch that before I go into my Product number/model name spiel. 😉

That looks like a pretty good product. Hope it works as easily as advertized.

regards,

erico

HP Recommended
Eureka! The TRENDnet TU-P1284 Converter is a plug and play solution to mating a legacy printer to new computer. To recap, I have an HP G70 Laptop running Vista Home Basic and an HP LaserJet 5P and when I cabled everything up, the computer recognized the printer, installed the correct driver, and I was off and running. The adaptor is under $20.00 through Amazon.
HP Recommended

@awestcoastguy wrote:
Hi,
So the solution was my suggestion of fiding another brand rather than your post marked the solution.
The actual idea behind marking the post which solved a problem is so other forum members who are facing the same or similar issue can simply search accepted solutions here in the forum and find the precise post.
I am glad that your issue is resolved, 

regards,
erico 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.