Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a similar problem: I have a beautiful, old HP LaserJet 5P printer connected to my new HP Pavilion HPE  running Windows 7, via a 16899 USB To DB25 IEEE-1284 Parallel Printer Adapter Cable.  The HP LaserJet 5p printer prints - however, it always prints an extraneous sheet before the first print job after the printer is turned on.  Also, it sometimes also prints an extraneous sheet before subsequent jobs.

Being tired of wasting so much paper, I googled the mysterious strings printed on the extraneous page.  I learned that the older printer does not understand the commands from PJL (Printer Job Language), which is actually an HP language.  Apparently PJL grew some new commands after the HP LaserJet 5P was manufactured, and so the printer just echos (in this case, prints) the commands which it does not understand, thinking that they are text to be printed.  Therefore, the HP LaserJet 5P needs a new driver to filter out and perhaps reformulate the newer PJL commands.

The HP support page for the LaserJet 5P tells you to go to Control Panel, Printers, etc... and then accept the driver supplied with Windows 7.  But there is no driver there for the LaserJet 5P.  The driver which evidently was automatically installed when I plugged in the USB connector for the printer does not understand the PJL commands -- thus, the extra pages. 

Does HP have an appropriate driver?  Or does HP just want us all to buy new printers 😞  The LaserJet 5p is an excellent product for which I repeatedly pay > $60 USD for cartridges ... it would be smart of HP to provide an effective driver.  Please reply with a link :-).  Thanks.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Windows 7 picked up my USB to Parallel cable/converter as well as my HP Laserjet 5P with Plug n Play but when i try to do a test print, it stays in the queue for a while showing "printing" and then shows "error - Printing". If i try to put it on a different port than USB001, it immediately shows "error".

Any advise on this?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.