Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have a hp officejet 4215 all-in-one printer. It is printing old info that I no longer want.How do I erase the printer's memory and start from scratch to print new documents? I have tried "cancel printing" and it does not help. Thanks!!!!!
41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended

I need to erase past print jobs from my printer for security reasons.  How wouild I go about doing this

HP Recommended

@ldgs43 wrote:

I need to erase past print jobs from my printer for security reasons.  How wouild I go about doing this

What printer model? With the exception of a few Laserjet, Designjet and small photo printers the printers do not have any memory for retaining print jobs that would not be cleared by simply turning off the printer.

For the original poster in this thread the print job is likely being stored in the computer's spooler, the HP Print Diagnostic Utility may help resolve the issue.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

What about HP G55 office jet that has a scanner?  Does it have a hard drive?

HP Recommended

@GSIB wrote:

What about HP G55 office jet that has a scanner?  Does it have a hard drive?

The Officejet G55 (or any of the G series) does not have a hard drive.  There is no personally identifiable information except for the fax setup and log which would contain telephone numbers.  This can be erased before disposal with a semi-full reset as described here.  I believe holding the - and 6 buttons performs a more thorough reset.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

what about the hp 6110 all in one everytime it prints last transaction it brings up the previous owner and other information how can you erase that?

HP Recommended

Do you need to erase memory from an HP printer when you get a new one?

HP Recommended
@ sweetsleepmfry - The only information that would possibly be stored in the printer would be the fax log, because the printer does not have an internal memory chip to store printing/scanning information.

If you do not have information in the fax log, then you be good.

If you want to clear the fax log, then let me know what HP printer you have and I can provide the instructions to clear the fax log.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Try performing a power reset

A power reset drains the power from the printer and returns to the same settings after restarting. A power reset is a common troubleshooting step, and you can perform one for conditions like print jobs getting stuck in the queue.
  1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  2. With the product turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 15 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button ( ) to turn it on.

Also, you can try the below troubleshoot:

Switch off printer
    Go to Printer and Faxes, cancel the documents under the HP Printer properties. 
    Switch on.

Good luck!

Hit kudos if I helped.
HP Recommended

I have a 6500 Officejet Wireless all-in-one...how do I erase the memory chip (restore to factory settings - how?)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.