Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 5200

We are using Hp Web jetadmin 10.4 SR1 to manage enterprise devises.  Changing the PJL password on all other device models works successfully. However, the HP LaserJet 5200 continually prompts for an existing PJL password.  This is occurring on approximately 40 LaserJet 5200's, all at the latest firmware revison.

We have not set PJL passwords on these devices previously, and blank does not work.

I do not see an option to change the PJL password on the EWS, so I'm guessing that Jetadmin is just not recognizing that setting the PJL password on this model is unsupported.

Anyone else had any success with setting a PJL password on 5200's, or have any idea what the existing PJL password would be?  

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I have no access to a printer of this model, so I can't advise on what features the LaserJet 5200 printer model supports, nor on which features WebJetAdmin or the Embedded Web Server might expose on the printers.

If the printers do support PJL passwords, and you want to try to set a PJL password, 'send' the contents of the attached .prn print job file (attached within a .zip file to ensure that it can be attached here) to the printer port.

An analysis of the job shows:

Type                   Sequence          Description
---------------------  ----------------  ----------------------------------------------------

PCL Parameterised      <Esc>%-12345X     Universal Exit Language (UEL)
Comment                                  Switch language to PJL
PJL Command            @PJL JOB           PASSWORD = 0[0d][0a]
PJL Command            @PJL DEFAULT       PASSWORD = 65535[0d][0a]
PJL Command            @PJL EOJ          [0d][0a]
Comment                                  Switch language to PCL
PCL Parameterised      <Esc>%-12345X     Universal Exit Language (UEL)
Comment                                  Switch language to PJL

Bear in mind that this job assumes that the current PJL password is disabled (i.e. = 0), and sets the new password to 65535 (the maximum value on most current devices?), but it shows how it could perhaps be done if the EWS doesn't support it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.