Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have several users that log into our Terminal Server through RDC and frequently print to their remote PC.  With every brand of printer and some of the older HP printers I just load the driver on the Terminal Server and the person is fully functional for printing remotely.

With the newer HP printers and all of the Multi-Function "All-In-One" printers it is extremely difficult to load the driver without having the printer attached.

How do I install just the driver without the printer?  In this particular case I am needing to install the driver for an Officejet 5510.

FYI, for those dealing with the same issues, you will also need to be aware of this Microsoft Registry fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302361

Thank you,

Mike

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I sure hope you find the answer to this,. I have to fix this very issue tonight.

Remember the days when you just inzipped the drivers and could load them manually?

HP Recommended

Hello "Salad",

I contacted HP directly and they told me that there is absolutely no way possible to install the driver(s) for their multifunction printers without having the device connected.

In the past one could cheat and use a basic driver for a printer (only) device, but even that doesn't work anymore.

From my long time experience, HP is the only printer manufacturer that this is a problem with.  For that reason - and because HP's quality has diminished tremendously - I have quite buying HP.  I buy mostly Canon anymore - they are less expensive, use less ink, the ink cartridges are cheaper, they last longer, and they work in every environment that I've put them in.  (HP, I hope you see this.)

Best of luck on your printer issue.

BTW, don't forget about the link I posted for the registry entry for multifunction printers.  It still applies to some of the other manufacturers.

HP Recommended

I just contacted them as well, Mine isnt a multifunction so it may not apply, but they told me to run the driver EXE until it gets to the point where it wants to plug in the printer. Then cancel.

Then go to "add printers" and add it there using the driver that was left behind from the EXE installation.

Haven't tried it yet but will in about 40 minutes.

The reghack wont work on vista. I have to share the printer and then map it to an LPT.

Fingers are crossed. . .

HP Recommended

I hope it works for you.  I have never had any problems installing the non-multifunction HP devices, so you shouldn't have any problems.

What I've generally done in your case, is go to Printers, File, Server Properties, Drivers, and Add new driver.  It runs much like adding a new printer, but it only installs the driver which is all you need for RDC.  That way you don't have to clutter up the printer list with everyone's home printer.

Let me know how it works out for you.  My office email, if you'd like, is mike@cfcare.org.

HP Recommended

This went off without a hitch but did add a printer. I'll have to try your suggestion, I like the idea of not having all those printer "installed"

HP Recommended

Glad to hear that it worked for you.

If you go to the printers now and just delete the printer, the driver that went with it will still stay intact in the Printer Server Properties and it should continue to work without you having to do anything.

Installing the driver only like I mentioned earlier just saves you this extra couple of steps.

Keep me updated...

HP Recommended

Just to confirm for anyone out there having this problem...

I, too, spoke to HP support and was told there was no way to install the driver to a new LaserJet Professional P1606dn without having access to the printer, either connected locally or on the local network.   They referred to Terminal Server as "third party connections', or "remote host" and said they do not support that.

I used Mike's solution of going to Printers, File, Server Properties, Drivers, and Add new driver.    It worked perfectly.

HP Recommended

Hello. I want to buy this printer p1606dn, but would like to confirm if you have no problems using Terminal Server. Try long Laserjet 1005 and the model did not work. I imagine it is compatible because it brings network connection. Someone already has it working?

HP Recommended

This was a great help. Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.