Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M880Z+
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

One of my techs is stuck on an issue.  Another tech went out of his assigned area and thought he was helping by flashing firmware on a dozen M880Z+ while the production lines were down for retooling.

A particular M880 was updated to firmware version 3.7.01.  This version is fighting the industrial equipment that is connected to it to print production reports and build sheets.  I cannot find anything that says the update of firmware is non-reversible, but this one seems to be. 

Does anyone know.... Is replacing the SSD enough or will we need to swap out the formatter, too?   Is there a way to roll back the firmware without replacing hardware?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
You can do a full clean on the hard drive which will wipe out all the firmware and then reloaded it from a USB drive.

You might also be able to roll back the firmware to the embedded web server, I'd have to look at one to see if it could be done.

If you are still having problems next week I'll be in an office with an m880z and I can look at the embedded web server then.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
You can do a full clean on the hard drive which will wipe out all the firmware and then reloaded it from a USB drive.

You might also be able to roll back the firmware to the embedded web server, I'd have to look at one to see if it could be done.

If you are still having problems next week I'll be in an office with an m880z and I can look at the embedded web server then.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Thanks!  This worked, with a few minor changes.  It would not clean in the MFP.  I had the tech remove the SATA SSD, plug it into one of those convertors that you can use an internal drive as a USB drive to extra files, open it using "Explore" and delete the file.  I advised him to NOT format it as it would have been a Windows format and did not know if anything would mess up.

Put it back into the M880 with the firmware as the only thing on a USB stick.  He turned it on, went into the pre-boot, extracted the file and it worked like a charm.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

How do you rollback the firmware on an HP LaserJet Enterprise Flow MFP M630? I have a brand new one but it won't allow me to download my company's Global Address Book from the LDAP server. We're receiving a 44.A0.5A - Cannot contact LDAP server message when testing a user lookup.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.