Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laser jet Pro 401 DW
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I have been told I need to replace the fuser in my Laser Jet Pro 401dw.

Where do I buy a fuser, how much is it,  and can I install it myself?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You can get it from the HP Store or even eBay  However, if you have never taken apart a printer before, it is not a Level 1 Tech job. 

A skilled tech who takes them apart daily in my tech department (we rebuild many of them for a hot-swap depot program) said it takes him about 30 minutes to "do it right".  

I know HP may not like this, but the 401 is viewed by many as a "disposable" printer.  You use it for 150k or so pages and buy a new one.  Why?  Because, they were only about US $170 wholesale.  Retail varies.  (I don't know if you are in the USA or somehwere else)

The new 402N is only about US $200 retail.  So, doing the math: At least US $100 for a good fuser and roller set.  If you can't do it, then another $100 for a tech service call.  You are at US $200 and that is IF the tech is qualified and not just a guy who knows a little something about printers and fixed the neighbors computer for a few bucks.  Add on a dose of agrivation, and you are well over the US $200. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You can get it from the HP Store or even eBay  However, if you have never taken apart a printer before, it is not a Level 1 Tech job. 

A skilled tech who takes them apart daily in my tech department (we rebuild many of them for a hot-swap depot program) said it takes him about 30 minutes to "do it right".  

I know HP may not like this, but the 401 is viewed by many as a "disposable" printer.  You use it for 150k or so pages and buy a new one.  Why?  Because, they were only about US $170 wholesale.  Retail varies.  (I don't know if you are in the USA or somehwere else)

The new 402N is only about US $200 retail.  So, doing the math: At least US $100 for a good fuser and roller set.  If you can't do it, then another $100 for a tech service call.  You are at US $200 and that is IF the tech is qualified and not just a guy who knows a little something about printers and fixed the neighbors computer for a few bucks.  Add on a dose of agrivation, and you are well over the US $200. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.