Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet 2600n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a LaserJet 2600n on my small workgroup network.  i recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro x64.  I had not used the printer for a while on my old Windows 7 Ultimate system so it was not included in the update to Win 10.  I'm trying to get it working on the Windows 10 system and frankly, I'm really having a major problem.  

I couldn't get my system to even see the printer at first, so I changed the IP from automatic to manual and set the IP to a known free IP, and also verified that the gateway was correct by looking at another printers settings.  I still wasn't able to get Windows to even find the printer.  I know it's on the network, and it's on the same subgroup because I can ping it.

I got the printer assigned to a new TCP/IP port I created but for some weird reason Windows insists that the printer is offline.

Can anyone please advise me on how to get this printer to be recognized on Windows 10?

BTW, to add more pain to the mix, I've also got a LaserJet 2840 that I'm going to have to add to the system.  I'm not even going to try until I get the 2600n running because I'm pretty sure I'll have the same issues.

Thanks for any help.

L

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You say the printer shows up but is off line.  Have you gone into the properties of the printer (first properties) and click on I believe preferences and there should be the driver and see if you can click to change or update the driver and see if it finds a new driver.  This printer uses what is called jet ready which requires software on the computer since the printer does not have a processor.  From what I have seen on the hp site, the printer software is supposed to be built into windows 10 since no drive is listed on the site.  Below is a link to the software for usb connection that hp had for windows 8.  It may run on the windows 10 machine which may then allow for usb printing and if it then works under usb, you might be able to change the port to the local tcp/ip port.  Good Luck.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=445987&swItemId=ly_49626_5&swEnvOid=4132

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
  1. Open Devices and Printers.
  2. Click Add Printer.
  3. Click The printer I want isn't listed.
  4. Select My printer is a little older. Help me find it and follow the onscreen prompts to complete the installation.
If the printer is not found, try the steps below.
  1. Have the printer IP address or hostname ready.
  2. Open Devices and Printers.
  3. Click Add Printer.
  4. Click The printer I want isn't listed.
  5. Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings and click Next.
  6. Select Standard TCP/IP port.
  7. Type the printer IP address or host name and then click Next.
  8. Select Replace the current driver and click Next.
  9. Print a test page.
    • If the test page prints, you are done.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.  Unfortunately, I've already done all that.  I have the printer assigned to a TCP/IP port.  It shows up in my printers list, but it's offline and I can't get the system to recognize it.   And, yes, the printer is on, and I can print a test page from it manually.

Is it possible that the printer is getting screwed up because I'm on a gigabit network?  Looking at the manual it just supports 10/100.  That shouldn't be an issue because the switch to which it's connected is auto-sensing but I suppose anything is possible.

I've also tried to connect the printer with a USB cable on a USB 2.0 port.  Same problem.  It's not being recognized.

L

HP Recommended

You say the printer shows up but is off line.  Have you gone into the properties of the printer (first properties) and click on I believe preferences and there should be the driver and see if you can click to change or update the driver and see if it finds a new driver.  This printer uses what is called jet ready which requires software on the computer since the printer does not have a processor.  From what I have seen on the hp site, the printer software is supposed to be built into windows 10 since no drive is listed on the site.  Below is a link to the software for usb connection that hp had for windows 8.  It may run on the windows 10 machine which may then allow for usb printing and if it then works under usb, you might be able to change the port to the local tcp/ip port.  Good Luck.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=445987&swItemId=ly_49626_5&swEnvOid=4132

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I tried the download.  It didn't seem to work.  So I decided to remove all the drivers and the printer.  Big suprise because I couldn't remove the printer. 

So, in complete frustration I decided to try to install the 2840, just because I really like pain.  But first I installed the driver I found on the website.  What a shock, it installed just like it was supposed to and started working.

Then I decided to try jousting with the 2600 again.  This time I was able to remove the printer.  Next I again installed the Win 8 driver for which you gave me the link.  Then I tried to install the printer using.  I guess the "Fun and Games" department decided to stop raising my blood pressure because it installed and is now working.

I suspect the solution to this little conundrum is to first install all the drivers, then when Win 10 gets nasty and doesn't get the installation of the printer done you have to remove the printer, re-install the drivers (including the Win 8 driver), then re-install the printer.

I think that may have been necessary because I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate and that first install and removal may have zapped some left over bits of drivers.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!!

L

HP Recommended

I had a comparable problem after upgrading from W8.1 to W10. After many different attempts (drivers, rebooting,IP adresses, ...) it turned out to be my wifi range extender. It broadcasts an identical SSID.

I stopped the range extender, and printing started immediately. Started the range extender again and the problem did not reoccur. I hope this may be usefull to someone.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.