Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm in trouble with my 8-moth-old LaserJet 1536dnf. Worked fine with my Windows XP and Mac OS X computer until yesterday, when I tried to send a fax by flatbed scanner (the ADF scanner works perfectly)

When I press the Fax button, printer prompt if document is on "glass", I confirm, start scanning and printer creshes. All leds start blinking and display says "error 79, restart printer". After few seconds printer restarts.

I also unplugged the power cord and replugged into the outlet after few minutes...

Printing and scanning with Windows is still working, but my preferred software is on my Mac.

With my Mac OS X computer now only printing feature is working fine, scanner software do not find any device with Bonjour (all services are enabled on my printer!). I downloaded the latests OS X software from HP.com, uninstalled the old drivers and software, installed the new one... but scanner and HP Utility software still not work properly.

I also do a "reset" on main parameters from the  printer menu, but nothing changed (lost network configuration and fax settings).

Printer is running the latest firmware version available on HP.com support website. I've never had any problems during the update process.

Do you think my printer needs to be serviced?

In this period I really need the printer and scanner for my important documents.

😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Phoned to tech support.

Switch off the device, then:

- press X and > simultaneously (keep pressed)

- switch on the printer

- keep pressed the two buttons and wait for the "restore" message on display

- wait... wait... when finished printer boot again

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Phoned to tech support.

Switch off the device, then:

- press X and > simultaneously (keep pressed)

- switch on the printer

- keep pressed the two buttons and wait for the "restore" message on display

- wait... wait... when finished printer boot again

HP Recommended

I tried this and the "Restore" message never came up.

I waited for almost 10 minutes holding down these 2 keys and having

the printer go through the same messages repeatedly

"Permanant storage init.'  and then 'Restarting'  and then back to '79 error'.

Did I not wait long enough for the Restore?

What other way can I restore the default settings on the firmware?

tx

HP Recommended

I have two LaserJet 1536dnf printers that never had the error 79 before, and now I upgraded to the latest firmware and it's causing error 79 over and over again...even when I'm not actively using the printer!!  I can't use either printer anymore.  The machine just keeps showing error 79, then automatically reinitializes and repeats this process over and over.  The new firmware has broken both of my printers!!

HP Recommended

Phone in tech support, printer needs a service.

HP Recommended

I solved the problem.  I turned off one of the computers on our network and both printers immediately stopped giving 79 errors.  So I uninstalled all HP software, printers & drivers on that machine, turned it back on, and everything works fine now.  It appears to be a driver conflict, with multiple HP printers and drivers installed.  All printers are network-based, so it's very strange that one computer on the network can prevent both printers from working on the network.

HP Recommended

Quite odd, let me know if it did reoccur.

HP Recommended

Many thanks to Steve.   I have three PCs on our network.  When I installed a suggested HP update for drivers etc. on one PC I too got the 79 error message when I tried to pirnt of any of the network computers.  I pulled up the software list in the uninstall page and uninstalled only the "HP Update" file that I had recently installed.  I left the original 1536 print drivers alone.  That solved the problem.  That'll be the last time I install a recommended HP update.

HP Recommended

I have followed your on-line instructions turning HPLaserjet 1536dnf MFP off, then turning on while simultaneously pressing the "x" key.    It reads  "initializing", "printing document," then "79 error turn off then on". 

It continues to initialize every few minutes with the same display.

Additional instructions?  Is it trashed?

Diane

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.