Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My printer above is stuck. The error message says that it is Initializing  which appears for about 5 secs, the message disappears for 3 secs and then reappears again. Consequently the computer does not recognise the printer. There is no chnage to the message whether the printer is connected to the computer through the USB or not. The wireless though is working.

I have tried uninstalling software and printer and then restarting. The last I did was a firmware update. I have also tried to pressing 6 on the keypad for over 20 secs but there is no chaange to the error mesage.

Please could a kind soul let me know how I can solve this. Many thanjs for your help

Stephen

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended
Hi sjo007,

I am not sure if this is you or not, but someone with the same issue, posted on the same day, to another technical outlet.

http://goo.gl/pxULA
🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hello, I'm having exactly same issue after firmware upgrade, which went quite successfuly, and MFP even printed pages for some time, but then after MFP reboot this stuck with 'Initializing..' appeared. I tired to press Cancel&Copy buttons when powering the device as suggested by a guy from the link above, but without any success, printer doesn't respond to keyboard in any way. Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the replies. I have searched high and low for the solution without success and have decided to buy an Epsom printer instead and ditch the HP one. I know this doesn't solve your problem but I hope that you find a way forward.

One thing that I did notice was that after the printer had been left switched on with the computer for about 12 hours it stopped initialising and worked OK. However on powering off the same problem happened. I guess I shouldn't have done the firmware update but it has put me off HP and I will go eslewhere in future.

Best wishes for the future and for 2013 !

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Nancyq,

Many thanks for the reply - much appreciated

Best regards

HP Recommended

i need to reset hp laserjet m1217nfw so i  am able to reprogram

HP Recommended

Thanks for the link nancyq. That solved my problem of printer being stuck at 'initializing...' for last couple of hours.

For all those who do not want to watch the video from the link or if the video is no longer available, shut down your printer and then press and hold the 'Cancel' button along with 'Right Arrow' button and then push and hold the power button until you see 'Permanent Storage Init.' on the screen. Voila, you are all set now.

HP Recommended
The solution worked well. I am confident that the problem was caused by my Samsung Tablet using the appk Cloud Print. Thanks for the solution. gbergh
HP Recommended

If you are still experiencing the failure of the m1212 initializing loop after a firmware upgarde....please see the below post for what to do next:

M1212nf fails to initialize after firmware update

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.