Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

401dne is duplexing all print jobs from two different Windows computers even though I have not turned on "Print on Both Sides" in Printer Properties from any application. I even check it each time I print. Have a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.8 also printing to this printer and it does not Duplex any print jobs. Note this duplexing on its own happens in all applications (printing from IE, Office 2013 etc.).

I have updated latest firmware and updated latest print drivers (full solution install). One printer connected via home network (ethernet hard wired to router) being accessed by two Windows computers and one Mac.

How do I fix this for the Windows computers o I can print on front side of each page only, when I want to.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem solved. I contacted HP Support via online Chat and we switched over to the PS Driver. It works correctly, One Sided prints individual pages, Duplex prints two pages on one. So yes, the PCL6 driver is deficient.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Thread /t5/Printers-LaserJet/Duplex-on-LJ-M401dn-will-not-turn-off/m-p/6240829 discusses this problem.

It appears to be a driver bug, but you may be able to circumvent it by changing (via printer front panel menus, or Embedded Web Server equivalent) the printer power-on default for duplex. 

HP Recommended

Chris,

So after reviewing the other thread it confirms my and your suspision, it is obiously a driver problem for Windows 7 PCs. BTW both of my Windows PCs have the problem, one is 32 bit other is 64 bit.

How do we ask HP to fix this in a driver update. This printer is one bought/used by a large audience, been out for a while now and thus should have enough of an install base to warrant HP fixing the driver by now.

I checked, there is no setting in the Printer menus on the machine itself to disable Duplex (and I don't want to lose the Duplex function all together).

Advice appreciated on how to ask HP formally to fix this in the Windows 7 Driver asap. 

Regards,

HP Recommended

>> ... How do we ask HP to fix this in a driver update ...

I've no idea - most of the support routes seem to be geared more towards hardware issues, and then only if the device is still in warranty (unless you give them a credit card number).

>> ...there is no setting in the Printer menus on the machine itself to disable Duplex ...

I don't have access to M401 models, but my LaserJet Pro 400 Colour MFP M475dn (a similar generation of printer to the M401) has a Duplex setting (On | Off) on the Paper Setup page on the System tab of the Embedded Web Server interface. 

HP Recommended

Problem solved. I contacted HP Support via online Chat and we switched over to the PS Driver. It works correctly, One Sided prints individual pages, Duplex prints two pages on one. So yes, the PCL6 driver is deficient.

HP Recommended
Hi, I used to have the exact same problem I solved it by acessing the printer trough hppt ( ip ) and changed on "SYSTEM->PAPER->DUPLEX" to off
HP Recommended

Hey. Tell me what is the solution. I have the same problem. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.