Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
MFP M477fnw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a brand new MFP M477fnw that I am trying to connect to an existing network.  I have the driver loaded on my desktop computer and connected the printer with an ethernet wired connection cable.  When trying to print a test page, I received a "Printer Communication Failure" box and cannot print.  I did not receive any firewall alert dialogs.  I am running Windows Defender.  The Printer control panel indicates the printer is connected to the network and has an IP address listed.  In the Windows settings, Printer properties, Ports, the  MFPM477 printer is shown being connected to a  WSD port. 

This wired connection is operational as I just disconnected my old HP printer from it which was printing without any issues.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello, I would reinstall the printer or change the port to a TCP\IP port. I have seen similar issues when printers were connected through the WSD port. What you can do, if you have admin rights, right click on the device in the devices and printers window, select printer properties, then select the ports tab, then highlight the WSD port associated with this machine and click add. The next pop up box you can add a port or if there is an option to select a standard TCP\IP port you can select that, and the wizard will walk you through configuring the ip address and port. This way you will connected via the IP address and the connectivity issue should be resolved.

Hope this helps....

HP Recommended

Thanks, your advise was helpful....reasigning the printer port solved the problem

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.