Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Thank you Johne3.  It is hard to believe, but unplugging the fax line appears to fix the problem we experienced.  My printer has been up and running for three days without a hiccup.  Fortunately, I almost never use the fax.

HP Recommended

JOhne3, your solution solved one problem, but I still had one remaining:  More and more, I would get vertical black lines on scanning or copying.  It required a reboot each time it happened.  I searched this forum for the solution and found a partial one:  Install new firmware available to HP customers in Germany.  You can research this on the forum.  If you are experiencing the vertical line issue, PM me, and I'll send you the firmware that Alex Wardle sent me.  

HP Recommended

MiltSchreiber    I have not had the problem that you describe.  If printing from computer is OK, but you get the lines only during scans and copies, I would suspect some crud on the glass under the document feeder lid.  Probably on the left side.  It doesn't take much.  Look closely.

If it happens with a print job from computer too, you might have dirt, gunk, excess toner on an internal machine part or on the black toner cartridge.  Also, use HP toner cartridges, not cheap knockoffs.  I'm no expert so good luck with others on this forum.

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem with the printer needing to be turned off and back on after the Update was applied. It was an update that showed up on the console of the printer.  I also had a problem with lots of black lines showing up not only with copies but with printouts.  I am not sure what happened, but all of a sudden the bad prints went away.  I did not replace anything on the printer.  It really stinks that the only way to fix the problem is by unplugging the Fax Line from the printer.  It's not a problem for me, but to tell my wife she has to plug in the phone line everytime she wants to fax, that is a problem.  The printer gives me problems whether printing from MacOS, Win7 or Win10.  My printer is plugged in directly to my network with an ethernet cable. 

HP Recommended

I don't know if the 20150924.exe firmware update is a fix-all, end-all.   There might still be fax issues.  So far I've been pleased with the firmware.  I've only had one glitch...printer was non-responsive and had to be rebooted...once in 10 days or so.  The scary thing about 20150924.exe, is it is one way street.  As far as I know, you can't revert to an earlier firmware version.  I know there was some discussion of fax issues in the thread: Re: LaserJet 200 colorMFP M276n copy and scan problem.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

I don't find the 20150924.exe firmware update when I search Support or the Drivers and Downloads Page.

HP Recommended

Send me a PM and I'll email you the firmware.  It's apparently something that was rolled out in Europe, but not North America.  Absolutely baffling.

HP Recommended

I just wanted to say thanks to MiltSchreiber for the help.  I ended up finding the 2014 firmware online and downgraded to that.  Since then, I haven't had any problems. 

It is unfortunate that after an upgrade, the solution to getting all of the functions out of my multi-function printer is to disable one of the functions.

I know the printer is older, but if HP is going to break it with a firmware upgrade, one would think that they would try to fix the upgrade.

David

HP Recommended

Milt wonder if you still had the firmware and could provide. 

HP Recommended

Sorry, I don't have it anymore.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.