Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I have same issues as this post.  Printer was working fine and showed an upgrade so installed using your installer.  It now does exactly the same as MittSchreiber's.  The screen will either go blank and not respond or will still be showing, however, nothing will respond to a touch on the screen or a document sent to the printer.  Must be powered down and then back up to work.  

Very annoying.

Where can I get the original load for the printer.  It worked just fine.  

Ron

HP Recommended

One more thing,  Use pringer with Windows 10, Linux and Apple so there was never a driver problem with any of the various operating systems before.  Now it locks up for any and all operating systems that send data to the printer.  

Ron

HP Recommended

This ordeal brings up a bigger problem for me:  Lack of HP Support.  HP sends out an update for our printers that is crap, but leaves users with no recourse.  All I want to do is revert to an older firmware version, but it's about impossible to figure how.  Getting direct support from HP has become seemingly impossible.  It seems as though HP's solution to support is to let users help users.  That is great until it fails.  They are on the verge of losing me as a loyal customer.  They have screwed up what is otherwise a great printer.

HP Recommended

I have continued to troubleshoot the issue, and I have written a letter to HP for what it is worth.  Here's what I've found so far.  No matter what "time" I specify in the Sleep/Auto Off Later" , my printer goes to sleep (the LCD turns off) after about 4 to 5 minutes.  

Once the printer goes to sleep (the LCD turns off), I can send a print job to the printer,  and it will wake up and print normally.   

At some point in time, not sure how long it takes, if the LCD comes on without a print job coming through, I can no longer print.  At this point, a printer restart is required.  

There is definitely something wrong in the printer's firmware 20150212.  The sleep feature is a total mess.

Please, please, please, can somebody tell me how to roll back the firmware for this printer.  

HP Recommended

I have same problems since installing the 20150212 firmware upgrade.  Have tried all recommendations: reboot computer, printer, router; reinstall firmware, driver; try with hardwire only; try with wireless only.  Think it's gotta be the upgrade.  What a disaster.  Using with Mac OS X 10.11.6 (after printer reboot of course).

HP Recommended

I don't want to get too excited, but I might have solved my problem with the sleep function related to the 20150212 firmware update.  Here's what HP recommended:  On the printer's LCD panel go to the Setup Menu, scroll down to Service, then scroll down to Restore Defaults.  Press Restore Defaults.  

So far so good.  My printer is not going to sleep after 4.5 minutes, which it was doing previously no matter how the sleep was set.  

If this is in fact the fix, I can't tell you how difficult it was to get help from HP.  It took writing them a letter to get a response.   

HP Recommended

I spoke too soon. The Restore Defaults solution was too good to be true.  My printer is back to its same bad behavior.  Also, at least one real HP person says that the firmware cannot be reverted to an older version.  I don't believe that, but that's what they are saying.  I'm at a dead end.  From this point forward I won't be purchasing any more HP products.  

HP Recommended

Had tried the Restore Defaults earlier.  Think that dropping connection to computer and wireless is not as frequent.  Have to reboot printer only 3 times/day now, down from 5-6.  Still not satisfactory.

If anyone figures this out, don't forget to post solution so we can tell HP how to fix their problem.

HP Recommended

I have found a fix for my printer.  Unplug the telephone wire from back of machine (give up the fax capability).  Go to System Setup, Energy Settings, Shut Down After - Select Never.  I don't think the Sleep/Auto Off After setting matters.  (I have selected 1 Hour).  I have not lost connection to my Mac nor to my Comcast network for several days.  I don't have a fax machine now, but I can print from all devices without having to reboot printer.

HP Recommended

I was already at Shut Down After - Never, but I still had my fax line plugged in.  I've unplugged the fax line now, so we'll see how that works.    My expectations are now set at ...very low.  🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.