Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi folks, I need to upgrade the memory in this HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401n B&W laser printer.  I can't seem to find memory for it anywhere.  Normally on the side is a sodimm slot (like old laptop memory).  This model has a totaly weird push on like connector.

Anyway we get memory errors for not enough memory like the following: "pcl xl error insufficient memory".  It will print the first page of the PDF and then say that, and then press OK to continue so we press OK and then it just prints that on a piece of paper.

So want to bump up the memory to see if we can print pdfs.  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
We are having the exact same issue as well. Previously, I had been able to resolve the PDF issue by downgrading to Adobe Reader 10 or 9 and the issue went away. Also by changing the driver optimization to RASTER. However, with this printer, none of that worked for us.
HP Recommended

are you getting the pcl xl error insufficient memory? 

Try using the PCL5 driver.  This will often solve any incompatibility issues between a file and pcl.

I am a HP Employee

(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Hi ,

if it's "pcl xl error...", the best solution

re-install all 3 print driver

PCL5, PCL6 and PS

after re-install driver use PS driver, it will fix problem print PDF file

I am an HP employee.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.*
HP Recommended

My "memory low" error just says "memory low, job cancelled" and to click OK.  I also would like to purchase a memory upgrade stick to see if this fixes the issue but I doubt it... changing the PCL language or driver is not an option for me since this printer is being used by Google's chromeboxes so it is under Google's control. I've been helping a google customer support rep troubleshoot this issue and it seems no solution has been found.  I've tried other printers with no issues. Adobe pdf's are not the cause since even printing a single webpage which shouldn't eat up a lot of memory causes this error. The google rep has also been lurking in online forums to find out why this keeps happening.  The printer's firmware is up to date and when I locally install the printer I don't get any errors.  Any other ideas on what to try, thanks?  Incidentally, the issue happens more consistently when the printer is renamed within the Google Admin Console. The Rep informed me he was able to rename the printer successfully but I keep reminding him that the renaming of the printer itself is NOT the issue, it is the failure of the printer to actually print anything AFTER the unit is renamed.  Our next step is to have him rename the printer within their API and see if that fixes the low memory error. 

Thanks,

Philip

P.S.  Btw, don't ignore my request to find a memory stick for this printer, if there is in fact one to buy, please let me know

HP Recommended
There is no memory upgrade for this model. 128meg is the max. The M401dn and dw models come with a standard 256 meg with no upgrade. To be honest even if you could upgrade the memory I doubt the issue will be solved. This appears to be a operating system/driver issue which google may need to resolve working with hp engineers.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.