Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MFP M477fdw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The ADF on the MFP M477fdw limits resolution at 300 dpi.  My very old HP injet 8500A had a fast ADF that allowed 600dpi duplex scanning.    Other than for faxing, the ADF function is to allow storage of documents and text documents when reprinted should be of the similar visual quality on paper as the original.  Sure I can hand feed single pages on the glass - BUT WAIT - no way for 8x14 as the glass is too small.  The ADF can scan a 8x14 but at 300dpi.  Why has HP throttled back the ADF resolution?  Is it for speed throughput?  The old HP 8500a had excellent ADF scanning and throughput speed.  PLEASE GIVE US A FIRMWARE UPDATE !!!!

Disgruntledly yours,

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your post, I can see the resolution for the ADF at the M777fdw is 1200dpi.

http://www.hp.com/sbso/hpinfo/newsroom/HPSMB2015/HPColorLaserJetMFPM477fdwDatasheet.pdf

If your jobs are not scanning more than 300dpi from ADF it may depend on the software you are using to scan.

Are you using the software that comes with the printer?

Regards,

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hi jostern,

I asked within HP to our scanner team to get an update on why you might be having this problem.  Here is what I found out:

On the MFP M477fdw, HP scans at 300 x 360 (H x V) color and 300 x 420 (H x V) mono on the ADF.  This decision was made to balance speed, cost, and quality.  600 x 600 ADF scanning would increase quality, but would cause HP to lower scanning speed (at the same processing hardware cost) or to use a higher scanning speed would increase HW cost (more expensive CPU and or more memory) for the customer in this market space.

So it’s not as simple as a FW update, unfortunately.    HP would be curious as to what you paid for the inkjet 8500A as opposed to the M477fdw, if you are willing to answer.  HP tries to provide the best quality at a reasonable consumer price - leading to this kind of compromise in the market for which this engine was targeted.  By the way, It should be easy to read any nominal text that was copied and stored at 300 dpi, so if there is severe degradation, I suspect that there might be some other cause for the degradation of the images.  

Perhaps if you could elaborate more on the quality degradation you are seeing on the copy vs. the original, and some information on the original content that is degraded, we could give you more help with settings that might make you "less unhappy".

I hope this explanation helps,

Dovid

I am an HP Employee
I work in Laser Jet Printing ((;-)>
The opinions expressed here are my own and not those of HP. Kudos are always appreciated if I have helped you.
HP Recommended

I scan documents containing electronic schematics - very small print with special symbols - I am certain other trades such as graphic artists also depend on an ADF for volume scanning of printed objects much smaller and more detailed than standard text.  300dpi leaves things with a blur.  On my old HP 8500 inkjet - the ADF scanned at 600dpi, duplex and to my experience was just as fast as the M477fdw - so I dont believe this was a cost, speed, tradeoff.... someone may have thought that - but I doubt anyone ever bothered to test how customers might feel... plus it is not clearly stated in any of the MFP M477 sales documents.  Furthemore, a user option to use 600 dpi with a slower ADF spped would be easy to implement and highly valued.  My HP 8500 MFP color injet cost about $200 at Amazon.  I was going to buy the HP Officejet Pro MFP as it does beautiful 4800dpi scanning, duplex ADF and duplex printer all for $300 at Amazon.  Had I know about the limitation of the M477fdw Laser I would have returned it before throwing out the box.  It's terrible that HP can undercut its own laser product with an inkjet that is only a bit slower but much more featured as a true MFP.

HP Recommended

The newer Officejet I referred to is the 8600 for $300 at Amazon

HP Recommended

Yes, it is probably right that, if you poor, you deserve the sub-standard things.  But the important issue here is honesty. Before I bought the m477fdw, I read the HP brochure and several reviews.  No where did I aware that the ADF uses such an inferior scanner.   I only read about the resolution of the scanner which is normal and which is what I expected.

HP has the right and all the reasons to build the machine to HP's specification.  But the failure to present a correct picture to your customers is a different thing.  If it is your intention to mislead your customers, that wil be unforgettable.

HP Recommended

Hello, I just found the set of options that allow you to scan at 1200dpi on this MFP.
Select the following options on the scanner wizard:

Save as JPEG -> 'More' on the upper right corner -> Item Type:  Photo -> Source: Flatbed -> 1200 will now be available under 'Resolution.

Select 'No' on the prompt that comes up when you choose this resolution.

That's it!  hope this helps someone, it took me forever to find it.

HP Recommended

I was thinking the same thing, having had seen advertisement saying the M477fdw had scan resolution of 1200dpi, and then finding only 300 pdi as the highest resolution available.   I followed the tip to switch to JPEG and switch to the flatbed scanner.   That bumped it up to a max resolution of 1200 dpi.   The point I want to make is that you can get 1200 dpi resolution in PDF or JPEG.   All you have to do is change the soure to "flatbed," for either file format.   Just a quick FYI.

HP Recommended

The defect is not in flatbed scanning resolution (max = 1200) but for the automatic document feeder (ADF) it is ony 300dpi maximum.

very poor

HP Recommended

Has this limitation (ADF scans limited to 300dpi resolution) been addressed since the OP's post, or does this continue to be a limitation of the HP multifunction m477 Laserjets?

Also, does anyone know whether the HP Pagewide 477 inkjet printers have been intentionally hobbled in the same fashion?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.