Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet 3600n

Per a suggestion in a previous thread, I bought Q7723A for my 3600n printer.  Q7723A is a 200-pin module.  The pins do not line up and it doesn't fit.  I double checked in HP Parts Surfer and it does indeed suggest Q7723A.  Again, this part does *not* fit.

The slot on the logic board only accepts a 144-pin memory module.  (The logic board is model RK2-1058.)

Just to experiment, I tried a PC133 144-pin 512mb SDRAM module.  The printer turned on but displayed an error, "check DRAM slot 1" or similar if I recall.

What part # do you suggest?  What is the maximum memory this printer will accept?

Thanks!

Previous thread, for reference: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Memory-Upgrade-LaserJet-3600n/m-p/3343969

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

From the actual service manual. I will private message you a link. You'll see the part numbers and info for what models the memory works with in the parts section for the machine.

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I only found one reference to a 64MB memory DIMM in the service manual

64 MB DDR SDRAM, HP Color LaserJet 3600 Series only - Q7800-67951

The other DIMMs are listed for the 3000/3800/CP3505 only

Memory (DIMMs)

(HP Color LaserJet

3000/3800/CP3505

Series only)

Q7721A Q7721-67951 Synchronous 128 MB

DDR SDRAM DIMM

Q7722A Q7722-67951 Synchronous 256 MB

DDR SDRAM DIMM

Q7723A Q7723-67951 Synchronous 512 MB

DDR SDRAM DIMM

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

Thanks! Where did you find that information?  Manual, page, etc.

HP Recommended

From the actual service manual. I will private message you a link. You'll see the part numbers and info for what models the memory works with in the parts section for the machine.

HP Recommended

So based on this.... I am not sure if this is an upgrade or if this is the max memory?  Guess I'll have to expirement.  Thanks for your research.  Will mark as accepted answer.

HP Recommended

Just to close the loop on this, the short answer is NO, the memory cannot be upgraded.

I tried every combo of every type of of memory module in the printer and nothing worked.

HP Recommended

That is because there is no memory upgrade for the 3600.  Only the 3000, 3800 and 3505 allow for the memory upgrade. This is due to the fact that the formatter of the 3600 has a limited processor so additional memory would be of no use. This is why the printer use the jet ready language where all the processing is done at the computer and that stream is processed by the printer with built in memory.

Table 7-2 Accessories and supplies
Item Part number Service/exchange
number
Description
Memory (DIMMs)
(HP Color LaserJet
3000/3800/CP3505
Series only)
Q7721A Q7721-67951 Synchronous 128 MB
DDR SDRAM DIMM
Q7722A Q7722-67951 Synchronous 256 MB
DDR SDRAM DIMM
Q7723A Q7723-67951 Synchronous 512 MB
DDR SDRAM DIMM

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.