Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP LaserJet 100 color MFP M175nw is getting a 54.2 error message, I thibk something's stopping them turn. How do I manually rotate the toner cartridges to get them out? the rotating button does not work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi mazz154,

If one of the cartridges are jamming the carousel it might not turn depending on how jammed the cartridge is. To move the carousel you need to have brake released, and then find a place on the carousel to spin it to the next cartridge holder. Just make sure you do not touch the toner mag roller in the cartridges with your finger as the oil on your hands can cause damage to the toner mag roller. If you are unable to follow the process outlined in my previous post due to a jammed cartridge(s) you will need to call technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

If your printer is out of warranty you will need to review the document below.

HP Out of Warranty Support Options for Select HP Consumer Printers*

Let me know what you find out?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Sent: ‎09-27-201309:25 AM

My HP LaserJet 100 color MFP M175nw is getting a 54.2 error message, I think something's stopping them turn. How do I manually rotate the toner cartridges to get them out? the rotating button does not work.

I've seen you answered this question before - I'm scared that the gridning noise is going to damage it, I'd appreciate your help please?

Thanks

Marion

Hi mazz154,

If one or more toner cartridges are installed incorrectly, this may result in a 54.2 carousel rotation error. This error is typically accompanied by a loud grinding noise.

NOTE: The carousel is the rotating part under the top cover to which all four print cartridges attach. (C = Cyan, M = Magenta, Y = Yellow, K = Black).

Troubleshooting Instructions

Refer to the following information in the order listed to troubleshoot for this issue.

Removing and reinstalling the print cartridges

For assistance in removing and reinstalling the print cartridges, see the instructions below:

1. Lift the scanner lid (M175) or remove the capture stage (M275), and then open the toner access cover.
  2. Locate the carousel brake release, which is the small white tab in the slot shown in Figures 1. Using a small pen or glass screwdriver hold down, and then pull the tab back toward the front of the printer in order to disengage the brake.

Figure 1: Carousel brake release

1.jpg

1 - Carousel brake release

NOTE: To locate the carousel brake, face the front of the printer, and open the toner cartridge lid. The brake is located on the left side in line with the cartridges.

3. While holding the release brake down, rotate the carousel forward or back to line up the black cartridge guides on the carousel to the proper position to remove the print cartridge(s) as shown in Figure 2.

Caution: Be careful not to touch the mag roller with the toner applied to it. Oils on your hands can cause damage to the toner mag roller

Figure 2: Proper alignment for removal

2.jpg

4. Remove the print cartridges when the carousel is in position for removal of the print cartridge.

5. Repeat this process to remove each remaining print cartridge.

6. Inspect the problem cartridge for damage (compare it to one of the other cartridges if necessary).

7. Once you have all the print cartridges removed you will need to turn the printer off, and then back on as instructed in the error message.

8. Wait for the printer to prompt you for installation of the cartridges

9. Grasp the print cartridge by the center handle, and then insert the print cartridge into the correct slot.

TIP - Look for color-coded icons on the print cartridge slot to insert the print cartridge in the correct slot.

10. Close the print cartridge door.

11. After you close the print cartridge door, the control panel displays the 'Calibrating or initializing' message. Wait until the product is idle and silent before you proceed.

NOTE: If you need to replace another print cartridge, you must close the print cartridge door before touching the Cartridge Rotate button again.

12. If you need to replace other print cartridges, touch the Supplies icon (3.jpg) again, and then select the next print cartridge.

13. Touch Cartridge Rotate to rotate the carousel to the next print cartridge, and then repeat the previous steps to replace the print cartridge.

CAUTION: Wait until the rotation sounds stop before you open the print cartridge door each time.

14. After you close the print cartridge door, the control panel displays the 'Calibrating or initializing' message

Let me know if this resolves the issue you are having?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

How do I rotate the cartridges? It doesn't seem easy. I have one out, but how can I move them?

Thanks!

Marion

HP Recommended

Hi mazz154,

If one of the cartridges are jamming the carousel it might not turn depending on how jammed the cartridge is. To move the carousel you need to have brake released, and then find a place on the carousel to spin it to the next cartridge holder. Just make sure you do not touch the toner mag roller in the cartridges with your finger as the oil on your hands can cause damage to the toner mag roller. If you are unable to follow the process outlined in my previous post due to a jammed cartridge(s) you will need to call technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

If your printer is out of warranty you will need to review the document below.

HP Out of Warranty Support Options for Select HP Consumer Printers*

Let me know what you find out?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

how do i fix 54.2 error

HP Recommended

Thank you for your post trying to help to fix the 54.2 error.

Tried your suggestions. Which didn't help. 😞

I want to share my experience with the HP LaserJet 100 colour MFP M175nw

April-29-2014  Delivered at a costumer. It started during the start-up and initialization : 54.2 error code , and memory problems . Nevertheless, the device completed and seemed finally be ready . I had a strange feeling about this machine.

Driver installation was also a drama on a HP laptop (which was 1 week before reinstalled from scratch). When configuring WLAN connection via the USB driver/software installation kept hanging at 15 percent . The device was found and installed but when trying to transfer the wireless settings the device lost somehow it's connection (tried several times, also through drivers from HP site) . Using a Toshiba laptop I was able  to finish the installation.

Costumer called several times:
When using the LaserJet it made a lot, almost stomping ,noise during printing . Especially if you use colour and black . Sometimes the LaserJet stops printing spewing out only white sheets. If you make a black copy after this to check the toner the device went into failure in 54.2 and wants to be restarted. Also coming from power save mode takes over two minutes and makes loads of noise before it’s able to print.

May-5 Had to go on-site again. Called HP Support for over an hour. Resetting with arrow right en cancel button didn't solve anything.  Support offered a replacement (not a new one) . Coming Thursday . Meanwhile we noticed when we do standard black/grey in the driver print settings the jet is more stable less noise.

May-5 Phoned the supplier.  Checked the send back warranty. Their policy is no questions asked within 14 days. Checked also the toner supplier (we ordered 4 toner extra). We could send them back. We have to pay the shipping.

May 5 and 6 But costumer still complained about paper jams. He did some research and found out that the carousel was vulnerable. He lost trust for this  machine. I agreed. This was not a good machine at all.

I told him call the HP helpdesk to cancel the swap. I made arrangements with the supplier.

Status: almost 7 hours which cannot be charged. 3 visits on-site. Several phone calls. Lots of hassle and time with suppliers and arranging sending back the machine and supplies. We had to pay for the shipping back. One big huge drama.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your advice! At first I was not able to see the carousel brake in the position you described. But that picture of the brake itself did match something in my printer. It looked like a light switch sort of, and it looked like it was already in the position close to me. But I used a narrow tool and was able to push it all the way in, just as you described. And it must have been the brake because the tonor cartridge moved when I pushed on it. I think I was able to get the cartridges out without touching the roller.

Was so glad I had to stop and say thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.