Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have replaced cartridges, run the print head cleaner, run the alignment, still won't print black.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi - Take a look at this post.  The instructions resolved the problem for at least one other customer having a similar issue.

Hope that helps.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
HP Recommended

Hi - Try following the steps in this document.

Hope that helps.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

This is for those who have this problem with a NON-WIRELESS 6500 PRINTER:

From time to time, I have had the same problem with my black ink not printing, and just yesterday, my cyan stopped printing for the first time.  In all cases, I had plenty of ink, had also cleaned the printheads, very carefully cleaned the carriage, etc. and it did not seem to help.  And then I found THE SOLUTION - which was posted by someone who I will always be grateful to: 

Follow these steps to perform a partial reset of your product (printer):

1. Unplug the power cord from the printer, and wait 20 seconds.
  2. Press and hold # and 3 while plugging in the power cord to the printer.
  3. Release the buttons after the printer has started up.  The printer will now be reset to factory defaults.

THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME EVERY TIME!

HP Recommended

Tried that with no results.  Think it is time for a new printer.

HP Recommended

My HP6500 all-in-one printer was working just fine when I tried to make a copy the "Black” ink would not print. It would not print from a document either. I changed the cartridges, cleaned and aligned the heads, did a full factory reset by unplugging the printer waited 20 seconds and while holding the # and 3 buttons plugged the printer back in... waited for it to restart and released the # and 3 buttons and ....waited for the initializing and head alignment to finish....and....and...and ... STILL NO BLACK INK!!!!

All diagnostics say everything is fine but everything is NOT fine.  Does anyone have any other suggestions...please!   I don't really want to buy a new printer.

HP Recommended

Hi - Take a look at this post.  The instructions resolved the problem for at least one other customer having a similar issue.

Hope that helps.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank-you very much... Soaking the printerhead in hot water for 10 minutes seems to have done the trick.

HP Recommended

It would seem with 1300 views that this is a problem may HP should fix. My printer is less than a year old, I don't do much printing from home, and I just spent a great deal of money on three cartridges of black ink... 😞 

The hot water trick doesn't seem to have done anything. I'm not happy...

HP Recommended

I cannot print anything black with my Office jet 6500 Wireless computer.  In looking on your website it looks like this is not an unusual problem.  I did shut down my computer and printer for an hour hoping to reboot.

Any other suggestions????

Thank you.

HP Recommended

I have tried everything I have seen on this forum with no satisfaction. Have now run the ink from the xl cartridges attemting all the cleaqnings realignments, etc. Soaking head in hot water did nothing.

Guess this HP is toast unless someone has another answer.

Will be my last HP if this is, as it appears, the norm.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.