Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Enterprise M553
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I noticed that I did not have a password set for my remote access, so from my webbrowser, I added a remote access login.  Unfortunately, now I'm unable to access the printer locally or use the admin password.  I had not set a local admin since it is in my house (home office).  But somehow (perhaps by my browser auto fill?) it now has one.  I'm still able to access it via the web browser.  I tried a factory reset from the remote access account login, but it still retains the unknown admin password. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey Bruce, 

Follow these steps - 

HP Enterprise printers - Reset the Embedded Web Server (EWS) password

Introduction

When a user selects Log In in the upper right corner of the Embedded Web Server (EWS), it prompts for a username and password. By default, the username is the admin with an alphanumeric password that is set up by the previous user.

If the person who set up the initial password is no longer available, the password is lost, forgotten, or both. Use the following steps in this document to reset the EWS password on the control panel of an HP LaserJet Enterprise, HP Officejet Enterprise, HP PageWide Enterprise, or a commercial non-FutureSmart HP LaserJet printer (includes those with a blue EWS).

This document does not apply to HP LaserJet Pro models.

Step 1: Reset the security from the control panel

1. Print a configuration page from the control panel.

2. Depending on the control panel type, navigate to and open the JetDirect menu using one of the following paths:

HP Enterprise printers
    Touchscreen, Keypad, and/or Standard 4–line display
    Administration > Network Settings > JetDirect Menu OR Embedded JetDirect Menu
    For the HP LaserJet Enterprise CP4025, CP4525, and P3015 printers, use the Standard 4-line display steps listed for HP LaserJet (non-FutureSmart) printers.
    HP LaserJet (non-FutureSmart) printers
    Touchscreen
    Administration > Initial Setup > Networking and I/O > Embedded JetDirect
    Keypad / Touchscreen
    Menu button > Configure Device > I/O > Embedded JetDirect Menu OR EIO 1 JetDirect Menu
    Standard 4-line display
    OK button > Configure Device > I/O > Embedded JetDirect Menu

If the JetDirect Menu option is not available, then the setting is locked. Sign in with the Administrator Access Code to access this setting. This is a numeric only password different from the alphanumeric password created to access the Embedded Web Server (EWS). If the Administrator Access Code is not available, contact HP to have a service technician reset both the Administrator Access Code and the EWS password. This Administrator Access Code is also required to access the Administration menu in Pre-Boot mode in order to perform either a cold reset (preserves network configuration) or a Partial Clean (erases network configuration).

4. Select SECURITY, select RESET SECURITY, and then select Yes

Depending on the control panel type, you might need to select Save

Step 2: Open the EWS and reset the password
  1. Open a web browser and type the printer IP address in the address field exactly as it appears on the Configuration Page, and then press Enter.

2. Click the Security tab, and under General Security, set the local administrator password.

1. Keep the username default as admin.

2. Type the New Password and Verify Password.

3. Navigate to the bottom of the page and click Apply.

Use these credentials the next time you Log In to the EWS.

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi@ventura5k

Reset the security from the control panel

Performing a password reset will erase ALL network settings including the IP address, JetDirect settings, and other protocols. If you want to preserve these settings, do NOT reset the password. To erase all network settings, perform a cold reset from the Pre-boot menu. To erase all printer settings and restore the printer to factory defaults, perform a Partial Clean

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my    efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 

HP Recommended

Hi there, I could not find the password reset and security in the control panel menus.  Could you list the menu order for me to find it?  I did a factory reset from the control panel, but it didn't reset the local admin password.  Will resetting the network settings clear the local admin password?

Also, how do I get to the "Preboot" menu? 

Many thanks,

Bruce

HP Recommended

Hey Bruce, 

Follow these steps - 

HP Enterprise printers - Reset the Embedded Web Server (EWS) password

Introduction

When a user selects Log In in the upper right corner of the Embedded Web Server (EWS), it prompts for a username and password. By default, the username is the admin with an alphanumeric password that is set up by the previous user.

If the person who set up the initial password is no longer available, the password is lost, forgotten, or both. Use the following steps in this document to reset the EWS password on the control panel of an HP LaserJet Enterprise, HP Officejet Enterprise, HP PageWide Enterprise, or a commercial non-FutureSmart HP LaserJet printer (includes those with a blue EWS).

This document does not apply to HP LaserJet Pro models.

Step 1: Reset the security from the control panel

1. Print a configuration page from the control panel.

2. Depending on the control panel type, navigate to and open the JetDirect menu using one of the following paths:

HP Enterprise printers
    Touchscreen, Keypad, and/or Standard 4–line display
    Administration > Network Settings > JetDirect Menu OR Embedded JetDirect Menu
    For the HP LaserJet Enterprise CP4025, CP4525, and P3015 printers, use the Standard 4-line display steps listed for HP LaserJet (non-FutureSmart) printers.
    HP LaserJet (non-FutureSmart) printers
    Touchscreen
    Administration > Initial Setup > Networking and I/O > Embedded JetDirect
    Keypad / Touchscreen
    Menu button > Configure Device > I/O > Embedded JetDirect Menu OR EIO 1 JetDirect Menu
    Standard 4-line display
    OK button > Configure Device > I/O > Embedded JetDirect Menu

If the JetDirect Menu option is not available, then the setting is locked. Sign in with the Administrator Access Code to access this setting. This is a numeric only password different from the alphanumeric password created to access the Embedded Web Server (EWS). If the Administrator Access Code is not available, contact HP to have a service technician reset both the Administrator Access Code and the EWS password. This Administrator Access Code is also required to access the Administration menu in Pre-Boot mode in order to perform either a cold reset (preserves network configuration) or a Partial Clean (erases network configuration).

4. Select SECURITY, select RESET SECURITY, and then select Yes

Depending on the control panel type, you might need to select Save

Step 2: Open the EWS and reset the password
  1. Open a web browser and type the printer IP address in the address field exactly as it appears on the Configuration Page, and then press Enter.

2. Click the Security tab, and under General Security, set the local administrator password.

1. Keep the username default as admin.

2. Type the New Password and Verify Password.

3. Navigate to the bottom of the page and click Apply.

Use these credentials the next time you Log In to the EWS.

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

HP Recommended

Worked, thank you!  One slight deviation for anyone else reading this, on my  Color LaserJet Enterprise M553dn, the menu structure was:

Administration -> NETWORK SETTINGS -> ETHERNET -> SECURITY -> RESET SECURITY

So in the paragraph that states you need to contact HP "If the JetDirect Menu option is not available," not true, the above sequence worked fine. 

The process retained my Remote Configuration and PJL passwords, but reset the local Administrative Access Code (which also serves as the EWS access code).

Many thanks Ratchet_31!

Cheers,
Bruce

HP Recommended

Hi@Venrura5k

Great !!! thanks for working around and getting it fixed. Appreciate the efforts 🙂  

Have a great day 

Ratchet_31

HP Recommended

I reset the security and it is still asking me for a password.  What would the default be.  When I go to the web interface I cannot log on.

HP Recommended

I need to disable, remove, blank the device password. I no longer want a device password. I cannot find a way to blank that out.

I found an earlier manual that says from EWS to just type in the current password in the "old password" field and leave the new field blank. That does not work, it makes me choose a minimum length password.

How can I disable the password instead of just change it or reset it? I want no device password again and I know my current one.

HP Recommended

@PostalAnnex  What model of printer are you using. The current thread is for M553dn which would be the generic directions for a LaserJet. I can provide more specific directions with your model information.

I am HP Employee
HP Recommended

You can set the password complexity requirement. In the embedded web server go to security/account policy and set the password complexity to zero. 

password complexity.jpg

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.