09-05-2012 10:47 PM
I would like to turn off the FAX auto answer on the OfficeJet 1536dnf MFP. So far I have not been able to figure this out short of unplugging the phone cable from the back of the machine. It seems there ought to be a better way. Any ideas?
09-06-2012 09:23 AM - edited 09-06-2012 09:24 AM
I pulled this information from the product manual (located here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01948866.pdf)
Depending on the situation, set the product answer mode to Automatic, TAM, Fax/Tel, or Manual. The
factory-set default is Automatic.
● Automatic: The product answers incoming calls after a specified number of rings or upon
recognition of special fax tones.
● TAM: The product does not automatically answer the call. Instead, it waits until it detects the fax
● Fax/Tel: The product answers incoming calls immediately. If it detects the fax tone, it processes
the call as a fax. If it does not detect the fax tone, it creates an audible ring to alert you to answer
the incoming voice call.
● Manual: The product never answers calls. You must start the fax-receiving process yourself, either
by pressing the Start Fax button on the control panel or by picking up a telephone that is
connected to that line and dialing 1-2-3.
To set or change the answer mode, complete the following steps:
1. On the control panel, press the Setup button.
2. Use the arrow buttons to select the Fax Setup menu, and then press the OK button.
3. Use the arrow buttons to select the Advanced Setup menu, and then press the OK button.
4. Use the arrow buttons to select the Answer Mode menu, and then press the OK button.
5. Use the arrow buttons to select the answer mode, and then press the OK button.
Right now it is probably set to Automatic, and sounds like you want to set it to Manual.
Hope that helps!
**I am an HP employee. I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
- HP Printers - Using HP Diagnostic Tools for HP Printers in Windows
- HP Printers - After Windows 10 Upgrade, Printer Does Not Print
- HP Printers - Using Google Cloud Print with Your HP Printer
- HP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows)
- HP LaserJet Pro Printers and Multifunction Printers - HP Smart Install Discontinuation