Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
P2015 (C366A)
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

My [P2015-C366A-circa Feb 2007] Laser Jet  displays the constant "ON" Jam Indicator.  Web research suggests it's the common high failure rate formatter board (engine test button prints a ruled page).  The formatter board in my unit is p/n: Q7804-6001. Comments of others "Suggest" the replacement fix is the Q7805-69003 board.  I need to have HP or a knowledge-experiened somebody please confirm this is my correct option - as opposed to a direct replacement.  I DON'T want to have to do this again and again. Tnx!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello, is this machine on networked, or connected via USB? What I would do first is disconnect the device from wherever it is connected to and power cycle the machine. If it comes to ready or condition changes try a demo page from the machine itself. If it does print than you may have a bad print just causing the issue in which case delete from the que and power cycle. If the error remains than it could be something else. When you power on the device do you hear any motors turning or sounds from the machine?

HP Recommended

Let me give you another option which works about 75% of the time. Since it cost nothing perhaps you will give it a try. There is a method to fix the formatter boards since most times the issue is cold solder joints on the main processor due to using solder at a time when lead was removed. You need to do a google search for the service manual and use the manual to remove the formatter board. You then need to remove the black tape by the memory slot. Now take the formatter and place in a baking pan with the chips facing up and the board propped up so the bottom does not touch the pan (foil balls work just fine). Now preheat a "GOOD" oven to 350F (177C) and when the oven is ready place the pan with the board in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes, put the tape  back on and put back in the printer make all the connections, cross your fingers and turn the printer on. Give it time since you should get both top lights to come on and it will take up to 30 seconds for the lights to then blink one at a time and eventually the ready light to come on.

HP Recommended

I'll give the solder thermal excercise a try.  I have a professional solder station and a low power scope, so I'll give it a once over first.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.