Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended

Hello - I have an HP Office Jet Pro 8600 Plus which I have had for 2 years.  I have been using the printer successfully during this time and I have always connected via my wireless network.  For some strange reason, the printer no longer sees the network and has therefore quit working.  It can still see other nearby networks, and all of my other home devices are still on the network that the printer was once working on.  There is clearly not an issue with the network.  I have manually input the name of the wireless network but the printer still can not find it.  I have reinstalled the driver, but that posed an issue as my computer can no longer find the printer as it's not on the network.

Can someone offer some assistance in solving this issue?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello waburk,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I understand you are having some wireless issues, your HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus can no longer see your wireless network. You have other devices on the network so we know there is no issue with the wireless network.

First question, does your router have a limit to the number of active devices it can have connected? Have you tried taking a few devices off the home network and see if that allows you to connect the printer?

Second, have you tried Restoring to Factory Default on the front panel of your OJ 8600 and re running the Wireless Set up Wizard? Please follow the steps below from the front panel of your printer:

Setup Menu > Tools > Restore Factory Defaults

Now, we are going to Reset the Network:

1. Unplug the Router

2. Unplug the Printer (Do not power off first)

3. Restart the Computer

4. Leave everything powered off for atleast 60 seconds

5. Now you will turn on the Router first, wait until the lights on the front are up and flashing

6. Plug the printer in, wait until it is full initialized (You will see the Print, copy scan options)

7. Now turn on the Computer

Please go to the OJ 8600 and do the following:

Setup Menu > Network > Wireless Setup Wizard > Run

You can check other steps, here: Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status 

Check your driver updates: HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads 

Are you able to successfully connect to the network? Do you get any error messages?

Please let me know the outcome, if you were able to connect to your network you can try re adding the printer to your computer. If you need help with that let me know.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Hello waburk,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I understand you are having some wireless issues, your HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus can no longer see your wireless network. You have other devices on the network so we know there is no issue with the wireless network.

First question, does your router have a limit to the number of active devices it can have connected? Have you tried taking a few devices off the home network and see if that allows you to connect the printer?

Second, have you tried Restoring to Factory Default on the front panel of your OJ 8600 and re running the Wireless Set up Wizard? Please follow the steps below from the front panel of your printer:

Setup Menu > Tools > Restore Factory Defaults

Now, we are going to Reset the Network:

1. Unplug the Router

2. Unplug the Printer (Do not power off first)

3. Restart the Computer

4. Leave everything powered off for atleast 60 seconds

5. Now you will turn on the Router first, wait until the lights on the front are up and flashing

6. Plug the printer in, wait until it is full initialized (You will see the Print, copy scan options)

7. Now turn on the Computer

Please go to the OJ 8600 and do the following:

Setup Menu > Network > Wireless Setup Wizard > Run

You can check other steps, here: Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status 

Check your driver updates: HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads 

Are you able to successfully connect to the network? Do you get any error messages?

Please let me know the outcome, if you were able to connect to your network you can try re adding the printer to your computer. If you need help with that let me know.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you HevnLgh.  I followed your directions but unfortunately that did not solve the issue.  The printer still can not see the required network.   I have also ensured that we have turned off several other devices on the network, but that did not solve the issue.  Interestingly enough, it can still see other nearby networks including a second network we have in our home but which the printer has never operated on.

HP Recommended

waburk,

Ok, I am grasping at straws here but when you go to select your network from the available list of networks to connect to- How many networks are you seeing pop up in the list? Are you scrolling down throughout all available networks?

I would like you to run the HP Print and Scan Doctor- It was designed by HP to provide users with the troubleshooting and problem solving features needed to resolve many common problems experienced with HP print and scan products connected to Windows-based computers.

Please let me know the outcome.

Appreciate your continued efforts.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you HevnLgh.  It currently can see 6  networks in the local area - one which is ours and  4 which belong to our neighbors - one that is actually a few doors away.

I'm happy to run the diganositic tool - do you have a version that is compatible for Mac?  I'm currently running OS X version 10.9.3.

Thank you again - I appreciate any help.

HP Recommended

waburk,

Thank you for you patience! I would like us to try to do a USB to Wireless configuration to see if this will force the printer to connect to the network. One question, did you recently change your network name?

Do you have a USB cable to do this? Please follow the steps listed below:

1. Plug in the USB

2. In the top right hand corner click on Spotlight (magnifying glass)

3. Type in HP Setup Assistant, select the top hit

4. Click Continue

5. Select your device from the list, click Continue

6. Follow the on screen instructions and make sure to select the USB to Wireless configuration option

Please let me know the outcome, I look forward to hearing from you.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello HevnLgh -

I tried to configure the network using the USB cable, and oddly enough, when I opened the Utility app and wireless set-up, it identified that the  the printer was actually configured for the appropriate wireless network!!  However, when it took me through the process to configure the set-up again, it said the following:   "The assistant was not able to configure your device using a USB connection."   Make sure the device is in range of the wireless access point and turned on but idle and retry your configuration. 

So very odd - the printer is still the same location - and the system can see that it's configured for the appropriate network - but the printer just can't seem to find the network.

HP Recommended

waburk,

I appreciate your efforts! Let's go back to the basics:

1. Is the wireless light on your OJ 8600 lit (blue), is it flashing or solid?

2. If it is solid, what is the IP address of your printer? Take a look below to obtain from the front panel:

Setup Menu > Network > Print Network Configuration Page

Please reply back with the requested information.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello HevnLgh -

The light is actually not on as it's not connected to the network.  I have printed the report but am not sure that I see the IP address printed on the Network Configuration Page.   There is not a specific IP address designated on the report.  Can you tell me which item I should send to your attention.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

waburk,

Yes, if you follow the instructions listed above, you need to turn the wireless ON and then run the Wireless Setup Wizard to obtain an IP address.

Can you please do that and let me know what happens?

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.