Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi. I recently moved and set up my printer in the new apartment. Printer seems fine but every time I turn on the computer I get a prompt that says I am out of paper. I am not -- the printer simply isn't registering the paper that is in there.  I have followed HP's troubleshooting instructions to no avail -- for some reason the rpinter doesn't want to recognize that paper is loaded. Any ideas about how I can solve this problem?

Many thanks.

63 REPLIES 63
HP Recommended

What printer do you have? 

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

When you try to print, does the printer make noises like it is trying to feed paper?

I work for HP and hope to make your day Sproutastic!
HP Recommended

I have a similar problem, but can't figure out how to make a new post, so I'm tagging onto this one.  I have 2 HP printers: 6310 All-in-one and a very old LaserJet 6L.  My problem is with the LaserJet.  The problem is intermittent.  The paper feed has been broken for years, so I single sheet feed.  Normally I am only printing one page at a time anyway, so this is not a big deal and the ink is MUCH cheaper on the LaserJet than the All-in-one.

Anyway - the printer is out of paper.  I print a document.  It says out of paper.  I add paper.  The green light comes on (signifying that the printer sees the paper), but it continues to say 'out of paper' until I reboot.  Reboot fixes it every time.  I would say 90% of the time, merely putting in paper and having the green light come on fixes it.  But, when that doesn't fix it, all I can do is reboot.  VERY annoying.  Is there some 'logical' reboot (reset something somewhere) that would be easier than a painful reboot of Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2?  I have tried removing the printer power cord (even for 60-90 seconds) - doesn't work.  I have tried 'Run' - net stop spooler.  Doesn't work.  Only 2 things work all the time - have paper loaded when I print, or reboot.  Another works 90% of the time - add paper when it says it is out, and then it recognizes it and prints.  But the 10% problem of requiring a reboot is really bothersome.

HP Recommended

I have an HP 6310. I am trying to copy 8x10 photos onto HP premium plus paper.  Sometimes it takes the paper in an it just sits there while it sounds like it is printing.  Then it spits  the paper out blank.  Sometimes it says it is out of paper when it is not.  and sometime it says the paper is jammed.  And, once in awhile it works.  Any suggestions.

HP Recommended

HI,

Try following link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02036357

Hope it works!!

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I will continue to reboot.  The suggested solutions had no bearing on my problem.  Sorry.  Reboot always works.  Always.  A dirty roller or dirty paper or any of the other things listed have absolutely nothing to do with my problem.  I have an old printer.  That is my problem.  But it usually works, it is cheap, and I like it.  Except for this problem!

HP Recommended

HI,

If still out of appear error message is showing after perform all troubleshooting steps given in link then it confirms that issue is with printer hardware and you need to replace the printer.

HP Recommended

i am having the same problem with my c4400 sries all in one

HP Recommended

This video shows how to resolve that issue on a C4400 series printer.

I am an HP employee.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.