Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP laserjet 3200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been having paper jam problems and finally decided to install a new roller kit with separation pad, etc.  After completing the installation, now I am getting a "Printer Paper Jam , Clear Paper Path" error message.  There is no paper jam -- it just thinks there is.  Also, when I plug in the printer the motor does not rotate as it normally would -- the printer is completely quiet except for the paper jam error message.  I have taken the printer down again to make sure all the parts were properly installed and everything looks fine.  Any suggestions (other than advising that I trash this old machine) would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help in finding a paper feed assembly.  (the company you referenced has one that icludes sensors and flags.)  Before ordering this I wanted to make sure this malfunctioning flag is what was causing the problem (at least one of the problems), so I taped the flag down in the closed position (which is the position it should be in when starting the copier), and to my great joy, the motor rotated and I got the "ready" signal on the display.  I decided to see what would happen if I tried to make a copy with the flag taped down, but I kept getting a paper jam, which I assume was caused by having the paper feed sensor flag taped down (is this a correct assumption?).  In any case I am going to go ahead and order the paper feed assembly for $20 and see what happens when I install it.  I am still bewildered by how the flag got broken and what happened to the broken off piece.  It is probably down in the paper feed assembly somewhere, and will surface when I remove the old one.  I hope I can replace the paper feed assembly without tearing something else up.  In any case, you have been a very big help to me, and I appreciate your patience with this novice copier repairman.  I'll report back with an update later.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Have you checked that a cable has not inadvertently been pulled loose?

Might be a cable to a sensor that is causing the machine to detect a jam which is preventing the motor from being activated.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

I took the printer apart again and checked everything and made sure it was installed correctly and that all cables that were exposed during the original installation were properly connected.  I could not find anything that appeared to be wrong.  I'm still getting the same "paper jam" error message and the motor is not rotating when I plug in the printer to the power.

HP Recommended

Do a google search for the service manual. When you get this error with no paper stuck in the printer it means one of the sensor flags is in the wrong position. With this model which is gravity feed most times it is the flag in the center of the fuser which is in the wrong postion. Sometimes the spring comes loose so the flag does not return to the correct position.

HP Recommended
Thanks for the suggestion; however, I checked the sensor flag in front of the first roller and it seemed to be working okay. I took it out and reinstalled it, but the problem remains. I was wondering if the amount of tension on the delivery assembly screws with springs could affect this? The service manual does not say anything about how tight they should be. Any thoughts on this?
HP Recommended
Oops, in my previous post, I meant "fuser" roller, not "first" roller. iPhone changed it.
HP Recommended

Attached is a paper path diagram for your printer. Play close attention to items 2 and 3 since they are the only sensor flags that can cause a paper jam message on bootup.  Since item 2 is under the pickup roller you installed odds are that is where you are having an issue.

HP Recommended
I do not see the #2 sensor flag under the pickup roller. There is an opening in the plastic cover to the left and below the pickup roller that appears to have a sensor flag underneath the plastic cover. I did not remove the cover to expose the flag. Also, the #3 sensor flag seems to be working fine. I also checked that the solenoid was in the proper position. Still have the paper jam error and no motor rotation upon connecting to power. Thanks for trying to help me work through this problem.
HP Recommended

Lets put it this way since I really do not remember those parts in your unit since it has been probably over a dozen years since I last worked on one. That sensor is the registration sensor which detects the leading edge of the paper as it is fed. If you do not see a flag or protusion the paper would force forward or down then that is probably where you are having the issue. If that flag is in the down position it would tell the printer there is a piece of paper at the registration point when in fact that sensor flag needs to be in the up position to indicate no paper is present. That is why you get the jam message on boot up since that area should be clear of paper or indication of paper in that area. In fact in looking at the service manual the pickup roller sits between 2 white plastics pieces and from the front of the printer the piece on the left looks like that is where the sensor flag is located and the paper moves the flag forward and down as it feeds so the flag needs to be in the up postion and you should be able to see it and move it with a flat blade screwdriver towards the front of the printer and it then should flip back where the next sheet will then be able to move the flag foward. That flag intersects the actual sensor and either blocks the sensor beam or lets the beam complete the circut. If the flag is out of postion the sensor reports a jam to the dc controller so no motors will work since the dc controller thinks there is a jam at that location.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I did not receive an email indicating a response had been received so I thought you had given up on me.  In any case, thanks for your response.  I think you have identified my problem.  The opening to the left of the pickup roller pad does not have a flag sticking up, so I am guessing that it got broken off when I was removing the parts to replace.  I found the sensor underneith but there is nothing in the paper path to trigger it on and off.  The sensor is in the closed position with the signal blocked.  I don't know if this is the correct postion on start up.   I thought I possibly could test this by putting a piece of tape on top of the plastic thereby holding the flag up so that the sensor remains in the open position.  This did not work.  I assume the controller would not let me outsmart it.  If I can get the part number of the flag for this sensor I'll try to find one and replace it.  I could not locate it on the parts list in the service manual.  Any thoughts?  Thanks Again!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.