Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I recently bought an HP DeskJet 2542 printer to replace my broken one.

Everything went well on the installation up to the point where I attempt to connect my printer to my laptop, which has been frustratenly unsuccessful.

I have tried both wirelessly through the network and wired through a USB connection, but neither work.

Upon further investigation, I find that the 2540 series software driver for the connection between PC and printer isn't even installing, despite several attempts. 

I have repeatedly uninstalled and reinstalled the entire printer software, but even when it says that the installation is completed, it still fails to connect the printer to my computer.

Furthermore....I recently discovered that my laptop printer connection runs through Windows' "WSD Print Device", which has been prompting me via Windows Update for a software update....but everytime I run it, it fails due to a "300073EB" error.

My laptop is an Dell Inspiron N5040 running Windows 7 - 64 bit. Only changes I have made is to double the RAM memory from 4 GB to 8 GB by adding an additional memory chip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I simply return the printer back.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well....I am happy to report that I have finally got my printer installed correctly, and it is working properly.

It turns out that the problem was a corrupted register key in the Registry folders where my printer drivers are stored was blocking the installation. I had to delete all the register keys in the folder where they were stored, then rename the folder in my spool folder where the relevant driver files were stored to "deactivate" it.

For those interested: here are the relevant steps I took:

1) Obvously, back up your registry first just in case.

2) Temporarily disable the Print Spooler service through the Services tool in Adminstrative Tools (click on the "Stop" button after right-clicking on the Print Spooler listing, then clicking "Properties".)

3) Open Registry Editor (by typing "regedit" on  your Start searchbar), then right-clicking on "regedit.exe" to log in as Administrator.

4) Using the left side nested folder directory, scroll down to this folder in the Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3

(For 32-bit Win 7 machines, replace "Windows x64" with "Windows NT x86".)

Look for the subfolder underneath where the corrupted driver is located (in my case, "HP Deskjet 2540 series") and right-click and delete it. (Note: you could also do the same to all the other driver folders listed there, but you would still have to reinstall the services after you reboot. That's why you need that backup.)

5) Next, get out of the Registry Editor and, using Windows Explorer: locate this folder in your root (C:\) directory:

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3

(This assumes you're using Win 7-64 bit; for 32 bit, replace "x64" with "W32X86".)

Rename the folder marked as "3" to "3.old".

6) Now, go back and restart the Print Spooler by using the same procedure as 1), except clicking on the "Start" button. (If your Print Spooler is set on "Automatic", though, you could skip that process, since rebooting will restart it automatically.)

7) Finally, reboot, and reinstall your printer software either using the attached CD or directly from the HP website.

It may simply be that an earlier install of a previous printer corrupted the keys enough that it was blocking the installation.

Justice and resolution may grind slow, but with a little investigation, it ultimately does grind. Thanks for your help....and you may consider this to be "SOLVED".

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi Anthony_JKen,

If I have understood, it sounds like you are unable to successfully complete the printer installation. If this is try, I would suggest you try the Print and Scan Doctor and see what it reports.

You will see a wrench, a yellow exclamation mark, a red X, or a check mark next each tested item.

PSDR printing.jpg

Click here to download and run the utility > HP Print and Scan Doctor.

If this does not work for any reason, or if it does but the issue persists, try the HP Print Install Wizard. he HP Printer Install Wizard for Window was created to help Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 users download and install the latest and most appropriate HP software solution for their HP Printer.

As for the "300073EB" error when trying to obtain the update, I have seen "ghost updates" before. Basically a "ghost update" is an update that was for the device, but the device has more recent drivers which causes the update to keep failing.

Please take a a moment to look at the following post; Update won't install.

Please let me know the outcome of these efforts and we can go from there.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, after going through all the steps you gave me, my printer is still failing to connect. It is saying that the software is either missing (meaning it is not being installed) or some configuration is incorrect.

I ran both the Print and Scan Doctor and the Install Wizard, but to no avail. A review of my Device Manager shows that I am missing the "HP 2540 series" driver that is repeatedly failing to install. I'm also noticing that the only device pertaining to printers that I see is the "WSD Print Device"...but when I attempt to update the driver there, it fails as well.  All the other software associated with that printer installed correctly, but that one failure is what is causing all the trouble.

I have tried both through USB and my wireless network to connect, and both are failing. I'm guessing that there are some corrupted driver files somewhere in my Windows software that might be causing this problem.

Once again, any help here would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Incidentally, regarding your thought of a "ghost update": when I originally attempted an install, I was getting prompted by Windows Update to download and install a WSD "Null-Print" software update dated November 2012...but everytime I did attempt an install, it would fail. Would it be possible to remove or uninstall the WSD device and attempt a new install as a TCP/IP under a USB or wireless network install?

HP Recommended

Hi @Anthony_JKenn,

@Anthony_JKenn wrote:

Incidentally, regarding your thought of a "ghost update": when I originally attempted an install, I was getting prompted by Windows Update to download and install a WSD "Null-Print" software update dated November 2012...but everytime I did attempt an install, it would fail. Would it be possible to remove or uninstall the WSD device and attempt a new install as a TCP/IP under a USB or wireless network install?

Good observation.  Please tr the following solution; On Windows 7 icons for WSD devices may show up incorrectly as a different class under Devices and Pr....

If the issue persists, I would like you to run a System File Checker. You mentioned earlier "I'm guessing that there are some corrupted driver files somewhere in my Windows software that might be causing this problem.", and I think you could be right.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted filesUse the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Keep me posted!

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

OK...I ran the fix for the WSD Driver Device as you recommended, and I did run the System File Checker as well, and it found no problems or corrupted files. Unfortunately, my driver software still isn't loading or installing properly; when I ran the Troubleshooting option under Devices and Printers, it detected that the software driver was missing and attempted to download it through Windows Update....but it couldn't find the driver.  It gives me this message: "HP 2540 Series doesn't have a driver -- Not fixed".  I'm sure that the driver was included in the software I downloaded directly from HP's website, so why wouldn't it install, I wonder?

Also, a question...I currently have the printer set with Wireless on in order to access my network. Should I turn that off when I attempt to make a connection via USB, or turn the printer off completely while I'm installing the software?

HP Recommended

Well....I am happy to report that I have finally got my printer installed correctly, and it is working properly.

It turns out that the problem was a corrupted register key in the Registry folders where my printer drivers are stored was blocking the installation. I had to delete all the register keys in the folder where they were stored, then rename the folder in my spool folder where the relevant driver files were stored to "deactivate" it.

For those interested: here are the relevant steps I took:

1) Obvously, back up your registry first just in case.

2) Temporarily disable the Print Spooler service through the Services tool in Adminstrative Tools (click on the "Stop" button after right-clicking on the Print Spooler listing, then clicking "Properties".)

3) Open Registry Editor (by typing "regedit" on  your Start searchbar), then right-clicking on "regedit.exe" to log in as Administrator.

4) Using the left side nested folder directory, scroll down to this folder in the Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3

(For 32-bit Win 7 machines, replace "Windows x64" with "Windows NT x86".)

Look for the subfolder underneath where the corrupted driver is located (in my case, "HP Deskjet 2540 series") and right-click and delete it. (Note: you could also do the same to all the other driver folders listed there, but you would still have to reinstall the services after you reboot. That's why you need that backup.)

5) Next, get out of the Registry Editor and, using Windows Explorer: locate this folder in your root (C:\) directory:

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3

(This assumes you're using Win 7-64 bit; for 32 bit, replace "x64" with "W32X86".)

Rename the folder marked as "3" to "3.old".

6) Now, go back and restart the Print Spooler by using the same procedure as 1), except clicking on the "Start" button. (If your Print Spooler is set on "Automatic", though, you could skip that process, since rebooting will restart it automatically.)

7) Finally, reboot, and reinstall your printer software either using the attached CD or directly from the HP website.

It may simply be that an earlier install of a previous printer corrupted the keys enough that it was blocking the installation.

Justice and resolution may grind slow, but with a little investigation, it ultimately does grind. Thanks for your help....and you may consider this to be "SOLVED".

HP Recommended
I have tried just about everything from the forum. When I tried to rename "3" to "3.old" message says the program or file is being used. I then tried copying the files and placed in a new folder named "3.old" but four files would not be transferred (something about 32 bit...). When I run setup.exe it jumps to "install complete but there is no printer connected. Please help
HP Recommended

Kafear...first, make sure you are editing the Registry as an Adminstrator, not under your own account. Also, close all programs and disable the Print Spooler before starting this procedure.

Second...make sure that you delete all of the folders in the Registry where your corrupted printer driver software is located (the Microsoft Services folders are optional; if you delete them, you will have to reinstall them using Control Panel after you reboot).

You may also have to do the install from downloading the software from the HP website. Are you on a 32- or 64-bit system? And, is this Win 7, Win 8, or another system?

HP Recommended
My computer is Windows 7, 64 bit
I have tried your recommendation and after I setup.exe it says printer installed but it is not. In area of Devices and Printers the printer indicates that it needs troubleshooting and this indicated that the driver for the printer not installed. I try installing driver but to no avail. I tried restoring computer to an earlier date but it says cannot complete due to error 0x80070005. What to do from here?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.