Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Envy 5660
Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

I purchased an HP Envy 5660 today.  I have been trying for several hours, but unable to install the printer on my Macbook pro, version 10.9.5.  They assured me that there would be no issues, am I missing something?  Do you have to install via USB cord (one was not included)?  I am getting to Select Device to Setup, but it is not locating the device.  Any tips?   It is working fine from my iPhone.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Okay, you can still use this router, but I suggest contacting the router manufacturer to disable the 5.0 frequency. If you have the know-how, you can go to the routers Embedded Web page on the computer and make this adjustment yourself. 

There is also a setting on the printer that may conflict with the wireless feature. Before tinkering with the router, let's go to the front panel of the printer, into the Setup/Settings, and select Network Setup. In the Network Setup menu, please go to Advanced Details and then to IPv6. Please turn off the IPv6. 

I have seen the IPV6 interfere with the Bonjour protocol many times, often times turning this feature off will resolve the issue and allow the Mac to see the printer over the network. Once the IPV6 is off try adding the printer again.

If the issue persists, the next step is modifying the router so that it broadcasts only the 2.4GHz.

Please let me know if this helps you to resolve the issue. Thanks again. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @laurm

I am confident that I will be able to help you work towards a solution, and get your Envy 5660 working with your Mac. I ask only that you pay it forward. When we settle the issue, I'd like for you to kindly mark the appropriate post as Accept as Solution so that others encountering the same or similar issue can find what worked for you. 

Since the printer is working well with your iPhone, I gather it is on your wireless network already. Did you configure the printer to be on your network, or are you using the Wireless Direct feature to use the printer with your phone? 

If you have the printer on your home network please be sure the Mac is also on the same network so the printer can be seen. If you are using the Wireless Direct, you can either put the Mac on the printer's network, or you could configure the printer to be on your home network which is probably the way to go. 

If you are going to put the printer on your home network, you do not need a USB cable, you can go to the front panel of the printer, look for the Wireless Menu, and run the Wireless Setup Wizard. 

You can use the following document to help you complete the setup: Setting Up the Printer for a Wireless Network for the HP ENVY 5640 and ENVY 5660 e-All-in-One Printe....

Please let me know if this resolves the issue or not. Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

How do I know if it is configured to be on my network, or Wireless Direct feature from my phone? 

It allows me to install the software, but when I get to the screen to select my device (photo attached) , it is not listed.  Please assist.

Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 5.24.34 PM.png
Thank you!

HP Recommended

If the blue wireless light on the printer is solid blue then it is on your network. If the blue light is blinking i is not on your network and you are likely using the Wireless Direct. Have you tried clicking 'my device is not listed' in the software? I see it there in the bottom left-hand corner. Clicking 'my device is not listed' should give you connection options. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

It is a solid blue light.  No devices are listed when I click my device is not listed.  Is it possible it is not appearing because my modem is 5GHz?  

HP Recommended

Do you believe the modem is the issue?  I need to know if I should return the printer.

thanks

HP Recommended

Yes. HP printers only work with 2.4GHz frequency. Is your router 5.0 only, or is it a dual band router? If it is a dual band router you could have the 5.0 disabled so it runs only the 2.4GHz. If it is 5.0 only, you would need to swap it for another modem, or use a USB connection from the printer to the computer. 

Let me know if you make the change and if you require further assistance. Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

It is dual. 

HP Recommended

Okay, you can still use this router, but I suggest contacting the router manufacturer to disable the 5.0 frequency. If you have the know-how, you can go to the routers Embedded Web page on the computer and make this adjustment yourself. 

There is also a setting on the printer that may conflict with the wireless feature. Before tinkering with the router, let's go to the front panel of the printer, into the Setup/Settings, and select Network Setup. In the Network Setup menu, please go to Advanced Details and then to IPv6. Please turn off the IPv6. 

I have seen the IPV6 interfere with the Bonjour protocol many times, often times turning this feature off will resolve the issue and allow the Mac to see the printer over the network. Once the IPV6 is off try adding the printer again.

If the issue persists, the next step is modifying the router so that it broadcasts only the 2.4GHz.

Please let me know if this helps you to resolve the issue. Thanks again. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

THis is old, and I'm not the OP, but thank you.  Just turning off the IPv6 got my Macbook talking to the printer.    I had reinstalled everything, followed a number of different troubleshooting checklists from Apple and HP - and none of them mentioned that possibility.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.