Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Bob, thanks so much for your help is resolving this.  Your expertise, and especially your patience are amazing.  I would still be angry and frustrated over this without your help.  More, you have helped me understand the process a lot better, so hopefully I can avoid such problems in the future.

I suppose I can now flag this as a solution, since between us we have been able to work around the problems with the mish-mash of programs and procedures HP has provided.  However, I will never consider it completel until HP does something to clean this up.  They may say my AIO is old, and no longer supported, but they have (at least on the surface) provided support for Win 7, which is by no means obsolete.  The just did not do a real good job of it.

Again, thanks much for your able assistance.  I can tell you that when I use up my current stock of HP ink cartridges, I will never by another ink cartridge for this machine--I will replace it with something else, probably a Canon machine.  (I actually almost bought a new Canon AIO this past weekend--was in the process of checking out when I discovered I had picked up the wrong model from the shelf, and the one I wanted was out of stock!  I came that close to bailing out ....)

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear that you are planning to retire the 7310 when the current ink runs out.  The 96/97 cartridges are relatively inexpensive on a per page cost compared to most of the printers with individual ink cartridges.   I would suggest you do not dispose of the 7310 until you have used the new printer for a while, you may find you want to go back.   Although they are getting a bit old now the Officejet 7310/7410 printers are among my all time favorites.  I have a spare 7410 I picked up at a surplus sale just in case mine ever fails :-).

BTW, if you have the optional two-sided duplexer the Vista/Windows 7 Duplex Printing Troubleshooting Guide has information on enabling the duplexer in Windows 7.  If you do not have one I would highly recommend it, they are cheap on eBay.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob, again thanks for the information.  I have the duplexer for printing, and it seems to be working fine.  I'll take a look at the troubleshooter for future needs.

Not to beat a dead horse, but it still rankles that the CD I bought is essentially worthless, expecially so when it says on the label to execute "Setup" from the CD, and there is no such thing on it.  You were right that they really should have renamed "AIO_CDB..." to "Setup" and that would have saved a lot of angst on my part.

It may actually be a while before I replace this 7310.  Except for the enormous hassle I've had these past few weeks, it's a really reliable old workhorse.

BTW, how do I mark this as "Solved?"

HP Recommended

Dear Mr. Headrick:

I'm replying to the author of the most complete (and informative) thread line on installation problems w/ Solution Center I have found.  If this is not the correct protocol, please forgive me for not going through "the process" but I wanted to go straight to the "fountainhead".

I recently upgraded my PC from an antique eMachine T3256 running WinXP(sp3) to a new Acer X1430 running Win7 64bit (sp1).  I transfered ALL apps, files, programs, and settings via Windows "Easy Transfer".  I have been trying to install and configure my HP OfficeJet 7210 for approximately one week now via hardwire ethernet going from the new PC's ethernet jack to the printer's ethernet jack (the printer is on the other side of the room and I have dedicated Cat5 wall jacks).  The PC "sees" the networked printer and I can print.  However, (here it comes :-() I cannot install Solution Center.  I receive the "fatal error message" telling me S.C. cannot install b/c of an incomplete installation.  

I first encountered the problem when I ran the Win7 update file "AiO_CDB_Net_Full_Win_WW_130_141".  I have since (per your suggestion to Semper Fi) run the "7z.../Util/CCC/L4" cleaning tool followed by executing a Windows "Disk Cleanup" followed by a reinstallation of "AiO_CBD...".  No joy.  I've installed the "CPE_SCAN_DESTINATION_UPDATE_hpcom_001_003" update b/c the HP Print & Scan Doctor utility suggested it.  I have installed the "CPE_SLP_NETWORKMSI_hpcom_000_006".  I have followed ALL steps in the "HP Installation Error - Win7" diagnosis app.  Still no joy.

Please HELP! 

Thanking you in advance, I am

Allen Kelly

New Orleans

HP Recommended

Just for the record, in case you did not see that part of the thread, I ultimately solved my problem by removing 64-bit Win/7 and installing the 32-bit version instead.  That not only solved this problem, but it also allowed me to continue running my Adobe Acrobat, which would not work with the 64-bit version, and that was another major headache for me.  Good luck!

HP Recommended

Thanks, Semper FI.

I did note your removal of Win7 64 bit, but what's the point of going back to 32 bit capability?  I might as well have stayed w/ XP.  Besides, I believe the Win7 system on my new Acer has both 32 bit and 64 bit capability since I have separate Program Files for the 64 bit programs and the (x86) 32 bit programs I have.  The one program I have not been able to update/upgrade is my Adobe Acrobat 6.0 (yeah, a dino for sure, but it worked for me!).

Hopefully Headrick will respond to my own conumdrum and it will not require removing 64 bit abilities.

Cheers,

AK

HP Recommended

I have the same problem w/the Solution Center. Scanner/Printer work and are connected w/USB. PC sees the AIO 7310 so it's all working except for the Solution Center which would help w/ink level et al. Have tried all the steps w/uninstalling batch files et al. Still no luck w/Solution Center.

About 2 1/2 years ago, I installed the software/AIO on my wife's PC when we got two new PC's. It worked like a charm, including Solution Center. Well, my wife got a new printer recently and I "inherited" the old one and I installed the AIO on my PC. Both PC's are identical. Same software, same everything. Both are up to date w/security et al. So, in theory, the Solution Center should have installed on my PC as well but when I click on the link for the printer utility (right click to open), I get a message saying that windows cannot find "C:\program" in the directory. How do I get this to work?

I am running Win 7 /64. Would appreciate any suggestions since the Solution Center was a nice tool to have. Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

This thread has been locked, For more information on HPPIW please refer to the following support document:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02681060

The HP Printer Install Wizard is a support application from HP that assisted in downloading printer software. This support application is no longer supported by HP. The last update to this software was on September 22, 2015.

To download and install the latest version of software for your HP printer, please visit 123.hp.com, HP support website, or HP Support Assistant (in English).

I Work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.