Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a brand new HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910g connected via WiFi and all seems to be working fine (after fixing some Comodo firewall settings on network PC's).

However, the light of the touch screen is quite annoying when the screen isn't needed. Only a few times, I noticed the light went off but I can't find an option to control that. Normally, the light just stays on (all night too) while displaying the commercial product tour. I really want this annoying commercial to go and have a timeout to a black screen that pops up again when touched. I can't imagine that functionality is not there yet but where to find it?

Regards,

- Charles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

Posting the rather unexpected answer myself.

There is also a (English) menu option Setup | Tools | Screen Saver.

This is also an On/Off radio button.

If you would think setting the screen saver 'On' would blank the screen after a timeout, you are completely wrong, like I was.

The screen saver is in fact the repeating Product Tour commercial.

Setting the screen saver 'Off'' had the intended effect.

Regards,

- Charles

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi, I'm checking for an option to turn this off. It will be a few minutes before I can get an answer to this..

Dave M.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.
I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Here is what I found for you.

The only option I can see that is relevant is Setup | Preferences | Energy Save Mode

That is an on and off toggle and the default is going to be On.  The backlight should be going off or dim within 10 minutes.  I see no options for directly affecting the backlight.

Hope this helps or answers your question.

Dave M.
I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hello,

The option Setup | Preferences | Energy Save Mode on the HP 8500A is not a toggle switch but like an on/off radio button.

Choosing either option has no effect at all. The display always goes to the product tour after a short while and keeps going in circles showing that. Very annoying indeed.

I suppose stopping the display would indeed be something to be controlled by the Energy Save Mode. However, because it doesn't, I have my doubts about the functionality of Energy Save Mode as such. What is it actually supposed to do in the first place?

Is there a real solution for turning off the product tour commercial and excess light?

I suppose there should be an option already or otherwise all users will suffer the same annoyance..

If the option is indeed lacking, can such an enhancement be requested?

Regards,

- Charles

HP Recommended

Hello,

Posting the rather unexpected answer myself.

There is also a (English) menu option Setup | Tools | Screen Saver.

This is also an On/Off radio button.

If you would think setting the screen saver 'On' would blank the screen after a timeout, you are completely wrong, like I was.

The screen saver is in fact the repeating Product Tour commercial.

Setting the screen saver 'Off'' had the intended effect.

Regards,

- Charles

HP Recommended

Folks,

I, too, just purchased the 8500A Plus and like everything about it, EXCEPT the fact that the backlit LCD display is almost always on.  I have ECO mode set to on and screensaver turned off.  It is my understanding that the screensaver mode simply plays HP advertisements over and over again (hence it's preferred off position).   The backlit screen does occasionally go off, but it seems to come back on without any prompting.  I have had all networked computers in the house turned off, and the backlit screen on the printer will just come on without anyone being near the printer.  It will often stay on for an exteneded period of time before turning back off.  How can this be considered "ECO" mode?  What is eco-friendly about a totally unused backlit screen?   I am considering returning the printer solely because of this reason.  HP support has been no help whatsoever.  So far, I haven't found anyone who even understands my questions about why the screen is coming/staying on for no reason.

Anyone found any good answers here?   Could it be something related to my router pinging the printer every once in a while?   Static in the air making the touchscreen believe someone touched it?  

I'd be really appreciative of any answers, as I'd like to keep the printer.  I have only a few days to make my decision because of the restrictions on returns at the store where I purchased it.

Thanks,

P

HP Recommended

If you turn off the wireless radio does this continue to happen?

Dave M.
I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Believe problem was related to cordless phone being placed too close to printer.  It must have been interfering with network wireless signal.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

I just bought an 8500a and am having the same issue.  It's hooked up wirelessly on an 802.11g router and the LCD will stay on most of the time.  When it does go off it will only do so for a minute or 2.  Then it comes back on without warning.  

I did have a cordless phone nearby but moved it to another room.

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem, however I realize the panel comes on when the line that the fax is plugged into in use.  Which is annoying, as it is my business line and it is in use all day.  Is there a solution?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.