Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dear All,

I have an alder printer HP LaserJet 2015, firmware decode 2007810. Every morning I'm getting a bunch of printed papers with the folowing header "Unsupported Personality: UNKNOWN".

We are using HP Universal Printer Printer Dirvers PCL6, both for x32 and x64 machines, using a cetral printer server on Windows 2008 R2.

Any idea what this message means?

Thank you

b.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

According to the specifications (see http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00763776&prodSeriesId=184555... ), the LaserJet P2015 printer supports all three traditional Page Description Languages (PDLs): PCL5; PCL6 (a.k.a. PCL XL); PostScript (a.k.a PS).

The printer refers to these PDLs as Personalities.

The default Personality assumed by the printer is usually Auto, which means that the printer's firmware should automatically switch to the correct interpreter for the PDL selected in an incoming print job.

If the Personality has been set (via front panel menus, or Embedded Web Server or Toolbox equivalents) to something other than Auto (for example: PCL or PS), the printer will reject jobs which don't use that PDL.

But the message indicating an UNKNOWN personality perhaps suggests that some system is sending job(s) which specify a PDL other than the three standard ones.

HP Recommended

Hi Dan,

Thanks for explaining the meaning of Personality.

Are there any printer logs that I can check to find out who is sending those printer jobs. By the way I do not see any option where the personality can be set.

Thanks

b

HP Recommended

I doubt that the LJ P2015 printer maintains any logs providing details of sending systems/users, so in order to identify possible 'rogue' jobs, you'd need to either use some sort of network sniffer (assuming the device is network-connected), or turn off all systems, then switch them back on, one by one, until the odd job(s) appear at the printer.

As regards setting the personality: as this model doesn't have a front panel menu/display system, you can only make changes via the Embedded Web Server (if network-connected), or the Toolbox application (if one is provided relevant to your operating system version).

I'd imagine that the Personality setting would be under something like Device Settings | System Setup.

HP Recommended

We had the exact same problem though our printer is brand new out of the box. We wanted to connect all our computers to the printer via our wireless network. you cannot use the auto find to setup the printer you must manually download the divers - from the HP.com website and place them where you can find them. Then manually install the printer and direct the computer to the .inf file when it requests it for installing the proper drivers for your make and model pc.

We have windows 7 on HP Pavillions running win7  64 bit and a "ZT" w/ win 10 64 bit as well as a couple tablets. I installed all of them manually with the IP address assigned by HP Support and they all work perfect. 

No more countless pages of wasted paper and no more error messages period.

Andrea

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.