Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro M252dw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just bought the printer today, from Best Buy, new and in an unopened box. I just registered my printer and checked the warranty status on the printer and it says that I have 4 MONTHS remaining on my warranty. Why just 4 months? What is up with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Here's the response from Shlomil :

Spoiler

Hi,

Any Factory warranty for HP Products is listed by its date of manufacturing, not by date of purchase.

To update a such you will need to provide a Proof of Purchase to update the warranty period.

If you are from teh USA or Canada, the following article applies:

http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c02638304

If you are from other region you may contact HP Support and provide your proof of purchase to update the warranty by the product's purchase date, as well you may do a such by providing the proof of purchase once required to service the product.

Regards,

Shlomi

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP forum.

Please keep your proof of purchase - invoice, receipts of your printer.

The printer should be in warranty for 12 months from the date of purchase, hence the proof of purchase is important.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi, greenturtle

I do have my receipt and I will retain it. This, however, does not really answer my question as to why HP says there is 4 months left on my warranty when the product was purchased new and registered today.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Any Factory warranty for HP Products is listed by its date of manufacturing, not by date of purchase.

To update a such you will need to provide a Proof of Purchase to update the warranty period.

If you are from other region you may contact HP Support and provide your proof of purchase to update the warranty by the product's purchase date, as well you may do a such by providing the proof of purchase once required to service the product.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks @ShlomiL

Hi @Disenfranchise

Hope Shlomil's reply clarifies your queries.

One more suggestion that we'll like to add is to Scan and keep a copy of your receipt.  Some receipts uses thermal paper and that WILL FADE over time!

So please scan and keep a copy of your receipt (or even photocopy your receipt on regular plain paper) and keep it in a safe place for warranty purposes.

We're speaking from experience 🙂

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Thanks greenturtle. I do scan in my receipts as a standard practice. While you have been very curteous and responsive to y question I am still at a loss as to why HP says that I only have 4 months left on my warranty. When I registered the printer I included the merchant that I purchased it from and the purchase date.

I do not see ShlomiL's answer. What was that answer?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Here's the response from Shlomil :

Spoiler

Hi,

Regards,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

I guess that makes sense, if you are a company that hopes no one retains their receipts.

I appreciate all of the effort that you have put into answering my question, greenturtle. Kudos!

HP Recommended

HI @Disenfranchise

Thanks for the Kudos, appreciate it.

We hope everyone retains their receipts. It's an industry wide practice.

Just to share a personal experience:

Our DVD player (cost less than USD50) recently couldn't play certain DVDs - we found the receipt and it left 2 months warranty.

We called for service and the technician came down, (onsite service) confirmed it to be a DVD drive issue and replaced with a new DVD drive! Well, we're a happy camper since the product is now as good as "New" (in fact it's NEW since the DVD drive was changed!)

🙂  Keeping receipts is a MUST for proof of purchase!

HP Recommended

It seems that once again HP surpasses itself.Why I wonder don´t HP reconfigure themselves and turn the company into one that can be believed and respected.One vast improvement would be a company that could be relied on to validate their warranty procedures. In the European Union and I quote EU Directive 1999/44/EC Warranty, minimum 2 years.

I have battled with HP Spain for many months having purchased a HP printer that after a few months was proved faulty, this was replaced not with new but a refurbished printer. The warranty on this printer had expired due to it being 3 years old. This was HP´s answer to having to replace my new printer.After many what I can only decribe as frustrating months , I was sent a new printer, with one years warranty. After quoting the EU directive I finally received a phone call confirming that  my new printer had now been given a 2 year warranty followed by a confirmation letter.

Upon looking on the HP Support Assistant I find it states that there is a 1 Year warranty.

The EU 1999/44/EC and I quote for the benefit of all those customers and hopefully potential customers of HP:

Directive 1999/44/EC, May 1999 from the European Parliament stipulates that by the 1st January 2002 member states must have altered their legislation to comply with new consumer laws. These new laws will ensure that all new consumer goods, including cars, carry at least a two year warranty and used consumer goods have a minimum of a one year warranty.

Is it that HP believes that even if a new product is purchased , taken home and the box opened it immediately  becomes a second hand product? It certainly seems that way.

open your eyes HP and realise how much damage you are inflicting on the company by these extremely debatable tactics.

I for one cannot wait until my products are out of legitimate warranty. I will then be rid of them and will purchase from a company that hopefully respects the customers it gains from another companies failures.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.