Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I recently updated the firmware and drivers on a P1102w LaserJet and now have two icons in Devices and Printers on Windows 7 Pro. One icon is correct and functional; the other is basically an icon that doesn't work and it reads HP LaserJet P1100 Series Printer. The functional icon reads HP LaserJet 1102w Printer (which is correct). If one un-installs the unusable icon, Windows just loads drivers at re-boot. Is there any way to get rid of this icon?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The issue has been resolved.

Apparently HP Smart Install was the problem. It was not until I upgraded the firmware and drivers to the latest (October 2012 version) that the problem started. I used the HP CD and ran the utility to disable Smart Install. I was able to delete the second icon, and it has not come back.

When I first bought the printer, Smart Install worked fine, but not after the firmware upgrade.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I might add that the second icon turns out to be for a USB mass storage unit that Windows 7 sees in the HP Pro 1102w (but it shows as an icon for an HP LaserJet Pro 1100 Series printer in Devices and Printers. It also appears in Device Manager under USB. If you remove all the software, reboot, and let Windows find the device, it installs the printer as a CD-ROM drive that appears in Computer; this device can be accessed and shows HP files and drivers. When this printer was originally installed, HP Smart Install installed the printer, then I added a full version of the HP printer software. But there was only ONE icon until I updated the firmware. This is very strange. I have Googled this and found others having a similar problem before the 2012 firmware update was released installing new P1100 printers.

HP Recommended

The issue has been resolved.

Apparently HP Smart Install was the problem. It was not until I upgraded the firmware and drivers to the latest (October 2012 version) that the problem started. I used the HP CD and ran the utility to disable Smart Install. I was able to delete the second icon, and it has not come back.

When I first bought the printer, Smart Install worked fine, but not after the firmware upgrade.

HP Recommended

I will add one more comment since I know others have had this problem; one can Goggle this issue and find others where the printer installed a fake CD drive (that appears in Computer with the real CD/DVD drives). If this happens, one should turn off HP's Smart Install because it isn't going to work. You can install the drivers at this point, but you will have two icons show up in Devices and Printers in the Windows 7. The second icon can be deleted once Smart Install is disabled using the tool found on the CD-ROM that comes with the printer. I have replicated this issue on two computers....

Once the firmware is upgraded to the latest available at this time (October 2012), and once Smart Install is disabled, the auto-off feature no longer works. HP claims the new firmware upgrades power saving to the new European standards. It apparently sets a new default; the printer sleeps after 1 minute but NEVER goes to auto-off regardless of what you set it to be in the software. The ready light will just slowly blink while the printer sleeps. Any time you send a print job the printer wakes up and prints fine. If you leave the second icon and do not disable Smart Install, auto-off continues to work at whatever time you set it to be (which is 4 hours by default or at least that was the factory setting prior to upgrading the firmware).

My guess is the P1102w is about to be discontinued since HP has a lot of new printers or may already be a discontinued product.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem even if I've NOT installed the Firmware update. I have HP LJ Pro 1102 (no Wireless). Can you tell me please which one is the file in the CD to disable Smart Install. I'm not able to find it: I have only an Unistall file and a Setup file.

HP Recommended

The program to turn off Smart Install is located on the original CD that comes with the printer.

Can I turn HP Smart Install off or on?

Yes. You can use the HP Smart Install utility to disable/enable HP Smart Install. The utility is

stored on the software CD, in the UTIL folder. SIUtility.exe is for 32-bit operating systems and

SIUtility64.exe is for 64-bit operating systems.

This information come directly from HP.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2010/plugandprint/pdf/Smart_Install_FAQ.pdf

HP Recommended
The program to turn off Smart Install is located on the original CD that comes with the printer.

Can I turn HP Smart Install off or on?

Yes. You can use the HP Smart Install utility to disable/enable HP Smart Install. The utility is stored on the software CD, in the UTIL folder. SIUtility.exe is for 32-bit operating systems and SIUtility64.exe is for 64-bit operating systems.

This information come directly from HP.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2010/plugandprint/pdf/Smart_Install_FAQ.pdf
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot. The utility worked for me. There are two options: disable SI on the PC and/or on the Printer. In my case I disabled HP Smart Install on the Printer and then I removed the "fake CD" device. The second fake Printer icon disappeared for ever (I hope....). And all is working fine... The auto-off feature is working perfectly like before.

HP Recommended

I disabled it on both the printer and PC, and was able to delete both the second printer -- and the fake CD may disappear, or you should be able to delete it.

HP Recommended

I installed the Pro1102 HP printer on my two others PC running XP SP3 Home Edition and all worked fine: one only right printer icon in Devices and no "fake CD" icon. I got the double icons issue only installing the printer on my first PC running Win 7 SP1 Home Premium. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.