Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Color laserJet 2600n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I searched this form and found a similar issue for windws 8 - 8.1 windows 8 saying printer error, but still printing . though the post is marked as Solved it never really was.

I have tried everyting on that post and I'm still getting this annoying error mesage popup every time I print. 

Windows 10 Printer error.JPG

1.) I can print single and multiple page documents - in both Color & B/W. the above message pops up every time but document prints fine. 

2.) installed the HP Print and Scan doctor  Version 4.9.0.26 Copyright 2016 HPDC LP (nothing wrong found) 

3.) Disabled all startup programs as described in the accepted Solution of the Windows 8 post how to change startup programs

4.) uninstalled and re-installed the printer & drivers

5.) insured that the Windows 10 cumulative update 1511 is installed

6.) done everything described on the above page and same as this guy:

a. Turned off Windows Firewall and Windows Defender. Restarted system.
b. Attempted to print a file from Notepad. Still getting error message.
c.  Checked Windows Update: totally up to date.
d. found http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/topIssuesDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=8195...   This seems to indicate that Printer sharing MUST be turned on. it is set as shown
e. Yes -  network discovery on
f. Yes -  automatic setup of network connected devices - on
g. Yes -  file and printer sharing - on
h. Turned on Windows Firewall and Windows Defender back on. Verified NO red messages in Action Center.

This isn't stopping my work but is VERY annoying  - perhaps it's a Windows 10 issue with the old printer - driver is fine but Windows 10 detecting a phantom problem - is there a way to supress the message ? 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi, I noticed you're having an issue with a false error message.

You  might try this:

Turn on the printer.

Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer, and then unplug the cord from the wall outlet.

Wait 60 seconds, and then connect the power cord to the rear of the printer and plug it into the wall outlet.

I work for an HP Partner.

Click the thumbs up + button if this is helpful. Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is resolved.
HP Recommended

Hi Nickdanger,

I believe you've discovered the issue yourself 

"perhaps it's a Windows 10 issue with the old printer - driver is fine but Windows 10 detecting a phantom problem"

This message is a status message from Windows and since the printer is older it appears that it is interpreting the status from the printer incorrectly. 

You can try this to disable the messages

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/turn-off-printer-notification/da2...

Note, however, that this will affect all printers and statuses.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.*
HP Recommended

@Pushing_88  Good point about unplugging the cord at both ends.  Most people don't know that electricity gets trapped in a cord that is unplugged at only one end, and if you don't empty the electric cord it's like you never unplugged the printer at all.

HP Recommended

I've a P1102W (Windows 10 compatible,firmware and drivers up to date) and have the same issue.

Every time I print i see "The printer couldn't print" notification

HP Recommended

I had the same problem. My printer was connected via USB.

I changed it to ethernet and connected to my router.

Ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor and all is good now.

HP Recommended

Hello@6t7gto,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I have read your post and understand that you need assistance in fixing the error on the printer. I will definitely help you.

Please let me know if you have any issues and are seeking for assistance or the issue is resolved?

Let me know for more.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP doesn’t recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.