Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hope this is not a repeat question, but I've searched and searched this board for this issue to no avail.

I have a HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m (70.91.312.0) that is installed on a XP desktop via USB and works great. However now I'd like to be able to use the printer wirelessly so I can use the printer directly from a laptop. Here are the steps I have followed to "add the device" wirelessly and the problem I encounter.

1. I insert the install CD that came with the printer and click the "Add a Device" button

2. I click the "Do not display the Setup Guide, printer has already been setup" box and click Next

3. I choose the "Wireless network connection (802.11)" option and click Next

4. It begins "Checking Network Configuration..."

5. It asks if my printer is already connected to my wireless network - I click "No (not sure)..." and click Next

6. It then asks me to "Temporarily connect my printer to the computer using a USB cable"

7. I click the box indicating my printer is already connected (remember my printer has been working just fine with my desktop via USB), then click Next

8. It says, Select the printer you are installing - "HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m" is listed in the box, so I click it and then click Next

9. This is where I get stuck! An error box appears saying "Selected printer is not present. Please connect the printer and press Retry or press Cancel to try another."

If I click Retry - the same box appears. If I click Cancel it takes me back to step #6 only to lead me down the same path to step #9.

I have tried to disconnecting the USB cord and reinserting it at step #6 but nothing happens (the computer beeps like I have removed a device but the screens do not change). If I try to "Reconfigure Network Device" instead of "Add a Device" it takes me right to Step #6 and the same result.

I have tried to uninstall the software and reinstalled it again - the USB works fine but same result above. I have unplugged the printer prior to install but no luck. Not sure what I should try next. Please help.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Try disabling your Windows Firewall and your Security System's firewall.

I think step 7 is asking if the printer is connected to the network, in which case it is not.  Try not checking that box.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

There is no firewall active (even shut down all other active programs and the virus scanner).

Step 7 is NOT asking if the printer is connected to the network.

Step 5 asks "Is your printer already connected to your wireless network?" - my response is "No (not sure), my printer is not yet wirelessly connected to my network. Help me to setup the wireless network connection for my printer."

Step 6 says "Temporarily connect your printer to this computer using a USB cable. This will enable the settings of your wireless network to be communicated to the printer. You will be prompted to disconnect this cable after the wireless network setup is complete."

My assumption is that the install program wants to "communicate" via USB to the printer so it can send the appropriate settings for the wireless network (e.g. SSID, Security etc.)

If I do not "check the box" the NEXT button cannot be clicked (e.g. it is greyed out) and I can go no further.

If I try to just disconnect the USB and then reinsert nothing happens.

So at step 7 I HAVE TO check the box saying "my printer is already connected to this computer by a USB cable" - which it is, as I have been printing via USB for some time.

Step 8 says, "Select the printer you are installing - "HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m" is listed in the box, so I click it and then click Next

9. This is where I get stuck! An error box appears saying "Selected printer is not present. Please connect the printer and press Retry or press Cancel to try another."

It seems to me like the install program cannot "see" the printer via USB to setup the wireless networking settings - even though I can print just fine via USB from any application on my computer.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Very strange.

If you are using a USB hub, plug directly into your PC instead.  Have you tried a different USB cable?

Did you install the updated software from hp.com?  It was just released last month for XP.   Get it here.  If you go this way, uninstall what you have first.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I got exactly the same issue. In fact, I already have my printer working fine under wireless since almost a year. The first installation was very simple. However, my printer got broken last October, still under guarantee. Finally, after 2 months and a half I got a new printer from HP/FUST (I bought it in FUST a year ago), I just received it last week. Anyway, all the software was installed already, and apparently this new one is the same model as the other older broken printer, but it simply cannot get connected to the network. I run the test network, and seems like the ISSD number does not coincide. The printer cannot get connected to the network, and thus it cannot be recognized in the setup wizard. I was looking where to change all these parameters, but I could not find. My printer is working ok with the USB, and it would be a p.i.t.a. to uninstall everything and reinstall the updated software, but I am afraid that this will not solve the problem. Anyhow, I will try. I would appreciate any other hint.   

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.  I can use the printer via the USB on my Windows 7 desktop, but cannot get it work wirelessly.  Anyone found a solution?  Or is the HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m even capable of using both the USB and wireless capabilities at the same time?

HP Recommended

I finally got the printer to work both via USB and wireless.  I first uninstalled the old software on both my Windows 7 desktop and my MacBook Pro.  I then downloaded and installed the software on the MacBook Pro first and was able to get it to connect wirelessly.  I then downloaded and installed the software on my Windows 7 desktop via the USB cable.  Now I can print from either computer.  

HP Recommended

I wish you could get some answers on this forum !

I also have this printer and I can not connect wirelessly.

It connected once and the next time it said offline and never connected again.

I think the radio is broke in all these printers.

I have to use usb, if I wanted usb I would have gotten a different printer.

HP must be selling junk.

I get past step 7 and it shows my printer but never connects.

I tried XP, Vista and Windows 7, no luck with any of them.

Last HP for me !!!!!!!

HP Recommended

terrigrigsby wrote:

I finally got the printer to work both via USB and wireless.  I first uninstalled the old software on both my Windows 7 desktop and my MacBook Pro.  I then downloaded and installed the software on the MacBook Pro first and was able to get it to connect wirelessly.  I then downloaded and installed the software on my Windows 7 desktop via the USB cable.  Now I can print from either computer. 

:robothappy: A thousand times thanks.  Your solution worked, this should be a sticky in the FAQ. It would save countless hours of needless frustration.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my HP -- cannot connect wireless. And I don't have a MAC to connect first. Maybe it's not software but the wireless receiver? Anyway, I am running Vista and I get stuck at the same point: in the wireless setup it asks me to select the type of printer I have, and there is nothing to select:when I check "my printer is not found" I get cycled back to the same screen. Is there a HP professional, or someone else who has solved this problem?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.