Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

<<but if you don't have a phone line connected to your printer how does your phone work?

If I disconnect the printer from my phone line, the phone works fine. However, then I can't send or receive faxes.

HP Recommended

I have AT&T and in order to be able to send or receive faxes you have to have a 2 wire phone cord. The one that comes with the printer is a 4 wire cord and will not work.  Amazingly nobody at AT & T knows this and HP should fix this!  You can order a 2 wire phone cord in various lengths from www.cordsforphones.com  Besure to turn off any and all call features because they will interfere with sending or receiving faxes. So no voicemail etc.  Hopefully this helps you!:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

Just wanted to add to what I read here

I got the * FAX *AS WELL  AS THE* VOICE PHONE EXTENSION *  TO WORK OFF MY OFFICEJET 6700 ALL-IN-ONE WITH 4-WIRE CABLES -- and not the phone cord that came with the all in one

HOW:

1. I puta piece of Scotch Magic Tape  about 1 inch square  (to start with) to cover the "face" of the plastic phone connector where I could see about 1/4 or so inch of the 4 copper wires on the plastic connector coming from my Charter Commuications phone line.  I pressed the tape firmly on that face and over the end of the plastic connector too.    The copper wires take a 90 degree turn on the cable end and I used the L shape of tape to cover both 
  2. I used an Xacto/box cutter knife -- the sharp point part of it, not the straight razor edge to cut and remove the tape on top of the MIDDLE two wires on the larger side where about 1/4 inch is exposed and followed the 'groove' (path) the wires took to go 90 degrees on the end of the connector
  3. I trimmed the excess tape so it wrapped a bit on the sides but not so much it kept the connector from going into the LINE jack on the printer/fax
  4. The first time I did this I got the same error so I had exposed some part(s) of the outer 2 wires.  I did it again (new tape)  and the second time I didn't get a dial tone so I hadn't uncovered the middle 2 wires completley.  I cleaned up small bits of tape over the middle two wires and this time it worked
  5. I could send a fax and i can pick up the extension phone connected to EXT on the all-in-one to place and receive calls.

I have no idea why the 2 outer wires had to be disabled -- but it works now!

HP Recommended

Changing my fax line to a 2 wire type did not good.  Still get a terrible noise when fax is even turned off.  Unplugiing the 2 wire phone line from the fax does just fine.

HP Recommended

I have an HP 4500 and no special  for the fax, I use a regular 4 conductor phone cable, but i I disconect the yellow  and black  wire from the wall connector on the wall, Only Red and Green  are connected, so the fax see only 2 conductor.  And the fax send and receive fibw.   HP charge you  $9.65 for the cable and  $11.25 for  3 ft cable,,,,,

HP Recommended

Hi I could not see the picture you said to compare the two line wire that you bought for $20. I know you posted this quite some time ago but I just bought the HP officejet pro 6835 and the phone cord provided is way too short.  So I am not able to attach anything to my existing phone cord that would connect to the HP cord and then plug into printer line 1 port? The user guide says that if you have a 2 wire phone adapter you may use it with a 4 wire phone cord to extend the length. I don't even know what all these items look like. Don't think I have ever had so much trouble setting up a new printer. Thank you for any feedback

HP Recommended

I will be easier to order a new two-wire phone cord from cordsforphones.com as they come in various lengths to accommodate your needs. I received the cord quickly and was able to set my fax up immediately. Have had no problems since. Hope this helps and if you have any call waiting or voice mail etc. you should disable those features.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.