Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HELP! Never had this happen before.....I have a reading on my printer: Clear carriage jam 

I have a HP Photosmart C5280

Can anyone help me. I looked inside tried to take carriages out but they are struck in there. Any info any one on how to clear it? It is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
There is a document with steps to help troubleshoot carriage jams in the D5280. The document can be found here.

If the steps do not address the issue, then it is most likely a hardware issue in the printer. If you are still in warranty, HP may replace the printer at no cost to you. I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call.

HP Technical Support Case Call Form:
http://goo.gl/w7Hgh
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.

I went to HP site and did the steps to clear. There is no paper or jam problem. It's a hardware error in the printer.

I  madee the mistake of calling HP help line.

I had to go through every step with them and after 52 min on the phone they decided it was a bad printer and will send me a refurbished one, if I send them this piece of ----.

It's less tha 3 mo old. I hope yours is still under warrenty.

HP Recommended
There is a document with steps to help troubleshoot carriage jams in the D5280. The document can be found here.

If the steps do not address the issue, then it is most likely a hardware issue in the printer. If you are still in warranty, HP may replace the printer at no cost to you. I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call.

HP Technical Support Case Call Form:
http://goo.gl/w7Hgh
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Almost new machine. Screen says "clear carriage jam", but there's no paper jammed in there. Can't do anything with the printer, since the "clear carriage jam" starts flashing continuously the minute I hit the power button. Followed the HP tutorial with different things to try. Tried all, but no help. Sheesh....

HP Recommended

Hi haleno,

I understand you have a Photosmart C5280 that is continually giving you a carriage jam error. I'm sorry to hear this has been happening, but will certainly do my best to assist you.

The best document to follow for the error you're receiving is this Carriage Jam or Carriage Blocked document as it should be able to guide you in finding what it is that's blocking the carriage from being able to move properly. Also make sure the printer is plugged directly to a wall outlet to ensure the printer has enough power to function properly.

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for trying to help. However, I've already been over all the steps you mentioned, and bunches of times, by the way. Ultimately, I think I've discovered that it's the carriage, which does NOT slide smoothly back 'n forth. It's catching on something, right before it gets all the way to the right. No fixing that I can see. But I'm still working on it, since it seems to be a hardware problem. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined so I'm attempting to fix.

I have to say this is killing me. My old 5580 bailed on me recently...after several good years. Then I found this practically brand-new 5280 (almost identical), that some guy bought new but only used a handful of times. My excitement was uncontrollable!!! : )

But it looks like I'll have to find another one, if at all possible, since I'm not sure I can positively locate what's blocking my carriage. These are no longer made, I've read. 

Thank you anyway.

HP Recommended

Hi haleno,

I'm so sorry to hear those steps aren't doing much for you! With your being mechanically inclined though, I will suggest that you try YouTube. A lot of people post videos of how to take apart the printer, so if you're lucky maybe someone has posted a video about the C5280 (or a similar printer) that can assist you in fixing your printer.

Wishing you the best of luck! Have a good one! 🙂

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Aha! I actually got the carriage unblocked! It was the plastic piece that holds the rubber ink pads underneath the 2 cartridges. For some reason it was situated up too high, tho' it isn't anymore.

But now that THAT'S solved....I'm still getting the "carriage jammed" screen. So I guess I will retry ALL those dumb steps again, and see what happens after that. Geez, Louise! A lot of work, but this printer's worth the effort. IF I can fix it, that is. Hahaha.

HP Recommended

clear carriage jam on my HP Photosmart C5280, please give me the solution. thank

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a fix for the constant "Carriage Jam" message on the screen that I know of. I tried everything. You probably don't have any paper stuck in it like it's telling you...and neither did I. 

As long as you've tried the steps listed on HP's website, and if that didn't help? I'm afraid there's nothing more that you can do. (Copy & paste the link below to view HP's supposed fix, if you haven't done that already.) Didn't work for me, so you know. I must have tried to do the resets like, 8 times...with no good result.

http://www8.hp.com/h20621/video-gallery/us/en/customer-care/1750222776001/fixing-a-carriage-jam---hp...

I ended up playing around with my C5280 for a coupla' days before giving up. I finally found another used one on Craig's List. Took me a coupla' weeks to find one, tho'.

The c5580 & c5280 (almost identical printers) and the c4280 (a more basic printer) all use the same HP 74 & HP 75 inks...by the way.

That's what I would do. Look on Craig's List for one of those 3 models. I had several back up ink cartridges stocked up, so it was worth finding another HP printer that used the same inks. I only paid around $20-bucks for this printer I have now, luckily.

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't help more. : (

PS? The one thing I've learned about these printers? Is that if/when paper DOES get stuck? Do NOT pull it out from the front. Take the back door off, and gently remove THAT way. I have a sneaking suspicion that when I DID pull out a jammed/stuck piece of paper from the front of the printer? That may have caused the problem. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.