Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

getting error 1726: failed to add port monitor hp discovery port monitor (hp photosmart 5525 series)  Running Windows XP, HP Photosmart 5525

Unable to complete installation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Jeff,

The manufacture of the computer should have created a partition on the drive or provided you CD's to restore the computer to the way it was when you purchased it. If you have a clone PC then you most likely need to reformat your drive and reinstall the operating system. If you have a OEM computer (Example: HP, Dell, ECT) there is most likely instructions when you are powering on the computer to hit F11 or F12 to recover the computer.

Note: Do not do anything until you have all your data backed up.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hi kuherdbull,

How are you attempting to connect the printer to the computer?

Are you attempting to install the printer using the CD that came with the printer?

Have you tried downloading the full feature software and drivers from the link below?

HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi pcwizard,

Yes, trying to install the printer brand new out of the box.  I used the CD, both as it directs you to the online site, and also tried the option of installing directly from the CD.  Same result for both.  Also went to the site for drivers and software, tried the 'basic' installation, and got the same result again.

I looked through a few forums - tried manually starting the spooler - got the same result.

Appreciate your help.

--Jeff

HP Recommended

Hi Jeff,

Try installing the printer on a different computer, and let me know if you experience the same issues?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I don't have another computer that I have administrator rights to.... any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi Jeff,

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Attempting to connect the printer per the instructions - initial set-up and power-up of the printer - then proceed to install software on the computer.  No wired connection exists yet, the instructions say to wait until told to do so to connect the USB port - I never get to that point.  Ultimately, would like to use the wireless connection.

HP Recommended

Hi Jeff,

Follow the steps below to uninstall and reinstall the printer. If you continue to experience the issue we will need to isolate a possible hardware problem. If you can install this printer on a friends or relatives computer this would help isolate the issue.

1. Open Control Panel

2. Click on Uninstall a program

3. Uninstall the Photosmart 5525 from the list

4. Reboot your computer

5. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

6. Download the full feature software and drivers, and then reinstall the printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-103385-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...=

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

OK - went to uninstall, but the HP software never does actually install - when I get the error, it offers to search for a solution, when it doesn't find one, it removes the installation, so there were no files to uninstall.  I updated the adobe flash player with your link, then re-booted.

I followed your link to the full installation, downloaded and ran the program - then got the same results - error 1726.

What's next?

And thanks for the help...

--Jeff

HP Recommended

Hi Jeff,

This issue appears to be related to a possible firewall blocking the installation of the software. Turn off or disable your firewalls, and then try installing the printer. Let me know what happens?

What firewall applications are you currently running?

I am an HP employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.