Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The install software falts and tells me to reset printer to defalts.  How do I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi johnjoyce75,

Plug the USB cable from the printer to the computer to initiate the Smart install software, and then follow the on screen instructions to install it (USB or Wirelessly).

Let me know if you are successful with getting the software installed?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi johnjoyce75,

Plug the USB cable from the printer to the computer to initiate the Smart install software, and then follow the on screen instructions to install it (USB or Wirelessly).

Let me know if you are successful with getting the software installed?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

My printer continues to look for the wireless network name in my old home.  We have since moved and I can't get it to recognize our new wireless network name.

HP Recommended

Unplug the printer power cable, and then while holding the cancel button plug the power cable back in. Continue to hold the power button for 5 to 10 sec, and then try reinstalling the printer on your comouter using the new wireless network SSID.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I changed routers and also changed network login names and I can't get my printer to find my new network name. Help!

HP Recommended

I tried the recommended solution, but the "smart install software" did not activate. I'm at a dead end. The problem originated from the fact that verizon changed our modem. Now I have to re- set up from scratch.

HP Recommended

I'm confused by these instructions. It says to press the "cancel" button, but then says to press the "power" button. Which is it?

HP Recommended

Hi @dvfoell ,

I see by your post that you would like to reset the printer back to factory settings. I would like to help.

Factory Restore:

Turn the printer off, hold down the wireless button and the cancel button (x button) while turning the printer back on and don't release the two buttons until the printer stops making noise.

Print out a configuration report and make sure the SSID and IP address are cleared.

Printing a Configuration Page. Select Method two.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Please provide the operating system you are using.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
I cannot reset no matter what I do. I have followed all the instructions here and every other hp blog I can find. It well not reset.
HP Recommended

Hi @mickeydavis1,

I see that you are having issues resetting the printer. I would like to help you.

Restart the printer and make sure it is connected directly to a wall outlet.

Try and print a hardware self test to see if the printer is working properly. Printing a Configuration Page. Select Method two.

To restore the printer back to factory settings, turn the printer off, hold down the wireless button and the cancel button (x button) then turn the printer back on and don't release the two buttons until the printer stops making noise.

Is there any flashing lights on the printer before trying the reset?

When turning on the printer, can you hear any noise?

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below.

If you have any issues, please let me know what steps you have taken and the results. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.