Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

The answer I got worked perfectyl!

HP Recommended

Where is the solution located?

HP Recommended

I thank you for getting me the information .. i wish there was a complete handbook / user manual which inclused this information

HP Recommended

Hello!

I have the same problemm as most of you.

Most settings on the device are locked and I can't change them.
I am able to log into the device using a browser and the devices IP adress.

When I remove the password there and I use the touch panel again, all remains locked.

How can I make sure that none of the settings are locked?

I mean I am using it in my home office, so no need for it 🙂

Kind regards,

Matthijs

HP Recommended

I was able to find the set up option, then preferences, and then I found the menu option to set the date and time.  I haven't had any part of my printer "locked", so I am not much help there.  Since I bought the printer from Costco, whenever I have a problem I call their tech support help line.  They are fantastic!  Perhaps the company from which you bought the printer could help with the "locked" situation.  I wish you well!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your post. This was the correct solution. 

HP Recommended

answer received solved the issue.  Did not find the answer in the owners manual

HP Recommended

There is an admin screen that lets you enable and disable features of the printer. The weird thing is that everything else you check ALLOWS the use of features but then the last setting if checked will DISALLOW users to make changes using the control panle.

In the Embedded Web Server (EWS), go to Settings, then select Administrator Settings, then UNcheck the option for Control Panel Lock and Apply the settings. That will allow you to access any of the options available from the control panel of the printer again.

HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g Settings-Administrator Settings-Control Panel Lock

I know the post is kind of old but didn't see anyone mention how to get around the control panel lock.

-Seth

HP Recommended

Thank you for the solution ... but HP, you have got to be kidding .... the printer is network connected to computers that have very solid and reliable time ... how in the heck did you come up with a top of the line network connected device that does not automatically synchronise time to the readily available network reference?

HP Recommended

I agree! If the power goes out, you have to remember to reset the date and time. What a pain in the ass. For a top of the line continually connected printer, this should be a no brainer to have the time and date auto updated. Very disappointed in this feature. Even my VCR did this 15 years ago. Sad!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.