Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Same issue here.  Left hinge broken.  I attempted find a resolution by calling into HP's tech support line.  Complete waste of time.  Since my printer is out of warranty - the only option the tech would give was to sell me a new 8500A Plus printer with some sort of fabulous HP discount.  His price was within $30 of what I could get on Amazon.  Net, nothing fabulous about that discount.  I asked to speak to supervisor to get this escalated and hopefully identified as a product issue.  The tech refused to let me speak to a supervisor and proceeded with a re-run of his new printer/fabulous discount offer.  Call ended.

Given the volume of this issue - this is clearly a HP product defect.  A google search on "HP 6480 broken hinge" speaks volumes as to the number of consumers suffering with the defect.  Not only is HP not providing a resolution - they aren't even acknowledging the issue in their own customer support forums.  

This company does not stand by their products based on my experience today. All I can do (and will) at this point - share my negative HP product experience with the Internet and vow to never do business with this company again.  

HP Recommended

Add me to this. Tried to change both ink cartridges, one hinge broke, then the other. Now I have a hunk of plastic junk. Fabulous job, HP

HP Recommended

Wow, here I thought I was the screw-up when my lid literally snapped down while I was changing my cartridge; google it and here everyone is having the same complaint. I can't press mine down like the other user - I can't get the backside to sit anywhere close enough to the base so I have a "door open" error and can't use my printer at all. I was shocked to see how flimsy the hinges are considering the weight of the base.

BTW, to the other users, my door never opened past 45 degrees either. I have small hands, though, so never thought of it as an issue.

HP Recommended
Re: hp J6480 left cover hinge broken while changing cartridge. How could I replace that?

Officejet J6480 All-in-One from 07-27-2011 07:14 PM
I think I'm number 6. The left hinge broke when I raised the cover to clear a paper jam.  The

spring-loaded plunger won't let the cover seat.  I'm about ready to start cutting.

I have the right hinge broken. It can't be replaced so I just removed the top half.
I removed the 5 screws, 1 for the hinge cover in the back, and 4 holding the top hinge in place.
It takes a hex head screw driver: T9 X 40.  Note: the bottom broke but I removed the top half only.
 1.  If you can get lid closed all the way, the little covers has to come off the back.  It is ~ 1 X 3 MM.  The top has to be closed and get the screws from the back.
 2.  With the top all the way open 90°, lift up the top on the right side just enough to expose the

two screws being very careful not to hurt the other side hinge.  Support the top against something so

it does not fall open any farther.  Once the hinge broke I was able to open the printer 90°.
 3.  Then you can get to the other two screws on the hinge.  Then I was able to raise my cartage

cover to 90°. Once removed the top closed fine. 
Note:  Be very careful in opening it to replace the ink. 

I got a new cartridge and it is working fine with the top half of the hinge gone.
-----------------------
Another person went a step farther:
Easy to disassemble as noted and printer functioning fine.  I removed top and bottom hinges completely.  I went a step further and epoxied some brass cabinet hinges on the back, mostly for a laugh but the printer/scanner etc  is working fine.  HP Printer $150 vs a brass hinges and 5 minute epoxy $5. The look of my printer, Priceless! 
------------------
I don't know about the 90° problem but I do know that I was able to get it to open to 90°. 

Good luck!

HP Recommended
Re: hp J6480 left cover hinge broken while changing cartridge. How could I replace that?

I think I'm number 6. The left hinge broke when I raised the cover to clear a paper jam.  The

spring-loaded plunger won't let the cover seat.  I'm about ready to start cutting.

I have the right hinge broken. It can't be replaced so I just removed the top half.
I removed the 5 screws, 1 for the hinge cover in the back, and 4 holding the top hinge in place.
It takes a hex head screw driver: T9 X 40.  Note: the bottom broke but I removed the top half only.
 1.  If you can get lid closed all the way, the little covers has to come off the back.  It is ~ 1 X 3 MM.  The top has to be closed and get the screws from the back.
 2.  With the top all the way open 90°, lift up the top on the right side just enough to expose the

two screws being very careful not to hurt the other side hinge.  Support the top against something so

it does not fall open any farther.  Once the hinge broke I was able to open the printer 90°.
 3.  Then you can get to the other two screws on the hinge.  Then I was able to raise my cartage

I got a new cartridge and it is working fine with the top half of the hinge gone.
-----------------------
Easy to disassemble as noted and printer functioning fine.  I removed top and bottom hinges completely.  I went a step further and epoxied some brass cabinet hinges on the back, mostly for a laugh but the printer/scanner etc  is working fine.  HP Printer $150 vs a brass hinges and 5 minute epoxy $5. The look of my printer, Priceless! 
------------------
I don't know about the 90° problem but I do know that I was able to get it to open to 90°. 

Good luck!

HP Recommended

1.  If you can get lid closed all the way, the little covers has to come off the back.  It is ~ 1 X 3 MM. 

The top has to be closed and get the screws from the back.
-----------------------
------------------

Good luck!

HP Recommended

HP has fallen down as a provider of quality products.  I have recently gone thru 2 laptops with failed hardware and now a defective part on a HP j6480 printer (hinge).  I will no longer patronize HP products.  

HP Recommended

Right Hinge broken was able to remove the spring is way too strong for the hinge material bad design.

Looks like HP has a problem but they are not willing to admit it. Maybe a class action lawsuit would help bring them around. 6480 is a good printer just a bad design on the ink access cover hinge.

HP Recommended

There was recent talk about HP getting out of the computer business all together.  I don't know what that will leave us with? 

HP Recommended

Update: we took the hinges off so the cover is just resting on the base. Works fine, though there is a sign on the printer that WARNS users to use both hands when lifting the cover!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.