Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I do not happen to have a ruler in my office (I guess I need to get one), but here are full size images of what we see. If our printer sits idol during the day for a long period of time, it will do this as well. Our printer is set for black printing only. I do not see any hint of color.We never really use color. 

Our average day, I would say we print 15-20 pages but at the end of every month we print statements to all of our clients so in that one day we would likely print over 150-200. The squealing started about 2 weeks ago, and the black pages started about 3 weeks ago. Yes the pages are all normal throughout the day unless the printer is idol for about 4 hrs or so. Yes, all or our printing is text pages.printer pages0002.jpgprinter pages0003.jpgprinter pages0001.jpg

HP Recommended

Also, when it starts squealing at us at the end of the day, it will go through a cleaning cycle after everything we print.

HP Recommended

fullcircle1,

please check your private message cue in this forum.  We would like to work with you on this problem.  Thanks, Dovid

I am an HP Employee
I work in Laser Jet Printing ((;-)>
The opinions expressed here are my own and not those of HP. Kudos are always appreciated if I have helped you.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

This is just a quick note that from a question which was unique enough to spark heightened interest and a need for more information on the HP Forum, this customer now has the support of HP's cartridge engineering team looking at their dark banding part of the problem.  We are working outside the forum to get further info and to provide one on one care.  Further information will follow on this forum once we have identified the root cause of the problem and can post any further information.  Stay tuned for updates.  Dovid

I am an HP Employee
The opinions expressed here are my own and not those of HP. Kudos are always appreciated if I have helped you.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am working with the same model of HP printer Laser Jet Pro CM1415fnw color MFP and about the same thing is happening. We do not get a squealing but a low groan. Many times after 5-6 pages it will clear up and print normally. Then after it sits and perhaps cools down it will then again print the black bars across the page. It seems that at first the bars are close together, all most totally black, then with page 3 or 4 spaced much further apart and by page six totally disappear. We have done the cleaning, changed toner, restarted the printer, and still have the same problem. It seems to have started right after installing a new print cartridge. After it did not clear up, I changed the print cartridge again and the problem still continues. 

Please help.

HP Recommended

Hi TwoTilt and FullCircle1,

Thanks to the help of FullCircle1, HP has been able to investigate this problem fully.  We know what the problem is and there is a fix.  This looked very much like a black toner cartridge problem but it is NOT.  The problem is that the color cartridges, while not used very much in your everyday printing, have become physically worn out.  In the case of FullCircle1, the cartridges were still the introductory cartridges that were in the machine when it was bought (This can be read on the label on top of the cartridge).  This is even though the machine was used for mostly monochrome - black - prints in its two or more years of use and the supplies status indication for the cartridges indicates they still may contain toner.  These cartridges do have some wear during all printing, and over the long time they were in the machine two things happened.  The cartridge has an internal container for waste toner and that container is completely full, even bulging and warping the cartridge shape.  Second, the greenish drum that is used to capture the image and place it on an internal belt then finally on your paper has been worn through.  This wear allows the charging current to flow in unexpected ways and basically "pulls down" the power supply that is charging the black drum.  The areas of black printing during parts of the day are caused by the black drum not getting the full charge it needs to print.  There are theories why this self heals during the day only to come back, but basically replacing the 3 color cartridges is the solution.  During the printing life of the machine, at some point, the panel indicated that the Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow cartridges were low then very low in life, but HP allows the customers to print beyond that indication by pressing the button and saying please continue to print.  This suggestion notes that this is to be done until print quality problems occur.  In this very special use case, when a color printer is used almost entirely for printing mono (Black only) pages, the print quality problem ends up being on the black prints, even though that cartridge can be new and still in great shape.  TwoTilt, please check if any or all of your color cartridges have a pristine green looking roller on the bottom or if they look more tan or yellow and scratched around the circumference.  Tan and scratched ( and if the case plastic looks bloated) I think you will have discovered the real problem.   A "TAN"  image (attached here) can be found on this forum by Gionny83 in a string labeled "cp1525n all black pages" and the inflated note is the bloating - same problem. 

If this helps, please mark as solution and a kudo would be appreciated...    Dovid

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Finally an answer!! I have been trying to resolve this issue for awhile.  Thanks for the support1

HP Recommended

I am having the EXACT same problem with my LaserJet pro cm1415fnw.  I also only use HP laserjet toner 128a.  Has there been a resolution to this problem since the original post 3 years ago?  Please advise as this problem is driving us crazy and makes us waste toner!  The printer has worked wonderfully for years but now we can seem to fix this problem.  Please help! Thank you

HP Recommended

Thank you, THANK YOU for detailing this problem. Another problem is FINDING THIS SOLUTION. IOW, wherever we look, this is SO SPECIFIC of a problem, that typing in certain key words INSIDE HP FORUMS should LOCATE this answer. It took scores and scores of searches to locate this answer. Pathetic. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.