Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

my hp officejet 6700 premium keeps losing its wireless connection.  I have to reboot the computer to reestablish the connection.  What causes the connection to be lost & how do I fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi radensu3,

How far is the router from the printer?

What is the operating system on your computer?

Run the following firmware update Here

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

Hi radensu3,

How far is the router from the printer?

What is the operating system on your computer?

Run the following firmware update Here

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

The router is within 2 feet of the printer.  And the OS is Windows XP.

HP Recommended

Hi radensu3,

Run the following firmware update below, and let me know if the issue remains?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-106542-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...=

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
The router is 2 feet from the printer. The OS is Windows XP.
I'll try this solution the next time I lose connectivity.

Thanks.
HP Recommended

ok, I am on Windows Vista 64 home premium and have the same issue where it loses the network connection.  Sometimes several times per day.  The router is within 4 feet. 

a) I've tried downloading the new drivers and new firmware.  All are up to date.

b)Is there a way to have it not go to sleep?

HP Recommended

Hi WJV,

Assign the printer a Static IP address, and then run the Update IP address from Program Files\HP menu folder to update the IP address for the software installed on the computers.

Assign the product a static IP address

1. In the EWS screen, click the Network tab.
  2. Click Wired (802.3) , and then click the IPv4 Configuration or the IPv6 Configuration tab.
  3. Click Manual IP . The Manual IP Address box opens.
  4. In the Manual IP Address box, type an IP address with the same values in the first three sets of digits (subnet values) as the product's IP address (listed on the Network Configuration Page), and a higher value (between 1 and 254) in the fourth set of digits. This creates a static IP address on the same subnet, but outside the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) range.
    For example, if the product's original IP address is 192.168.0.1 , assign the static IP address 192.168.0.200 .
    Figure 10: Example of a static IP address with the original DHCP values
    Image: Example of a static IP address with the original DHCP values
    Figure 11: Example of a static IP address with the DHCP values modified
    Image: Example of a static IP address with DHCP values modified
    NOTE:Do not type the static IP address from the example. Type a static IP address based on the IP address for your product.
  5. Type the Subnet Mask and the Default Gateway settings as they appear on the Network Configuration Page.
    Figure 12: Examples of the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway settings
    Image: Examples of the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway settings
  6. Click OK to save the new settings, and then click Exit or close the browser to exit the EWS.

No, the sleep mode is enabled to lessen the power usage when the printer is not in use.

Power consumption

Hewlett-Packard printing and imaging equipment marked with the ENERGY STAR® logo is qualified

to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR specifications for imaging

equipment. The following mark appears on ENERGY STAR qualified imaging products:

ENERGY STAR is a U.S. registered service mark of the U.S. EPA. As an ENERGY STAR partner,

HP has determined that this product meets ENERGY STAR guidelines for energy efficiency.

Additional ENERGY STAR qualified imaging product model information is listed at:

www.hp.com/go/energystar

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I've already set the IP Address as static. 192.168.1.4

HP Recommended

Hi WJV,

When you lose connection again with the printer run the diagnostic utility below, and let me know what you find out?

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
The EPA are a bunch of idiots. The 100 watt light that I'm burning all hours of the night trying to solve my printer issues uses more energy than the printer when awake for a week. Quit trying to make me Green!!! I'll do that myself.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.