Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hi Jerry,

the installation problem we're discussing is not connected to the target printer type since the installation process hangs long before recognizing the printer. So, I suppose that the installation software you got shipped with your new printer Envy 120 fits simply better to Windows 8.1 than the downloaded one for our older printers.

@Jon: this could be a point to research; what's better with this software for the Envy 120? Maybe the OJ_AIO_4500_G510g-m_Full_Win_WW_140_408.exe I used should be updated?

best regards

Thomas

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem with photosmart 3210. After the upgrade to 8.1 I could print but the solution centre wouldn't open. I followed your support instructions to fix the problem but it has failed. I even unistalled all the HP programs but the driver install still fails. Help!

HP Recommended

I also ran the log collector but it didn't produce any file. The install falls over immediately with the file not found message.

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

I have been hearing that the log collector that I posted a few days ago does not work as well as I had hoped.

So I spoke to the Engineers and they said that if you can collect the files together from these Directories and make them into a zip file this would help us in tring to work out what is going wrong.

If we  can get the  following  from the  problem machine, that would be great.

Contents of   %ProgramData%\HP\Installer   (Fairly large)

Setupapi.dev.log    from %Windir%\inf  folder

Windowsupdate.log  from %windir%

HPSLPSVC*.log  from %Windir%\temp

I hope this make sense

Once you have a ZIP file with this information in please send me a Personal Message and I will reply with an email to send the Zip file to.

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Hi Jon,

I prepared already some time ago a zip file (see my previous post), but I don't know how to send it to you.

Please tell me.

Reagrds

Pascal

HP Recommended

What do you mean by Personal Message?

How do I send one?

HP Recommended

1. Windows 8.1 64-bits

2. Windows Store after being virtually compelled to upgrade.

3. My HP OfficeJet Pro L7780 now only prints in mirror.

4. Yesterday (Nov 26th) I downloaded and installed the full-feature software from the HP website:

Version:  OJ_AIO_L7X00_Full_Win_WW_140_408

5. My HP PC is connected by network to my HP printer.

In the past years I have several times had to install, delete, install, delete, etc. the HP software and drivers for my printer

This time I did not feel up to it to delete the full software package AGAIN. I am not convinced that I really have to.

I hope there is a beter way.

You canb have my log files, but I do not know how to e-mail you privately.

HP Recommended
I have found
Setupapi.dev.log from %Windir%\inf folder
Windowsupdate.log from %windir%
HPSLPSVC*.log from %Windir%\temp

I only have a Program Files directory, no Program Data.

Program Files (x86) only contains cio, Common, Digital Imaging, HP Software Update, HPSUPPY and Temp. No Installer found.

HP Recommended

@rvanwaning wrote:
I have found
Setupapi.dev.log from %Windir%\inf folder
Windowsupdate.log from %windir%
HPSLPSVC*.log from %Windir%\temp

I only have a Program Files directory, no Program Data.

Program Files (x86) only contains cio, Common, Digital Imaging, HP Software Update, HPSUPPY and Temp. No Installer found.

The %ProgramData% is not a directory as such.

Go to File Explorer and in the Top Bar Type %ProgramData% this will take you to the %ProgramData% directory.

%ProgramData% is a variable that is set by the operating system and is based on User Name and certain other choices that were made when the PC was originally built (default directories etc).

I hope this makes sense.

JonW

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Everyone,

Thanks to everyone who contacted me with logs, they were very helpful.

The engineers have developed a Post Migration Scrubber that may help with this problem.

Anyone who would like to test this Scrubber please contact me via Personel Message and I will provide them with a test version to try and see if this fixes their problem.

Thanks

JonW

I work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.